Twilight Of The Idols (In Conspiricy With Satan) review by Gorgoroth

• Released: Aug 12, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Gorgoroth: Twilight Of The Idols (In Conspiricy With Satan)

I'm sorry to say that most of this album leave Gorgoroth with the rest of the extreme scandinavian black metal scene. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of ups in this one but the majority of Twilight Of The Idol's sounds alot like the usual overkill being released by Nuclear Blast Records year after year. As far as musical skill goes, this album is better than most, the guitar and bass are very punchy whilst the drums are sadisticly beaten by king with great accuracy.

The lyrics are the biggest problem this album has, Ghaal seems to be in an identity crisis "am I still with the extreme black metal crowd are have gorgoroth matured over the years?" Well he can't tell so the vocals sound very touched up but still not listenable enough to land them in the same range as say satyricon or red harvest. The problem is this album won't appeal to anyone except people who have previously heard their earlier releases. In short, the vocals are to well done to be underground but not refined enough to quolify as something fresh in this declining metal world.

I don't realy recomend this, it's not worth the 14. 00 I spent on it for 8 seemingly endless tracks. Unless you realy are a fan of norweigan necro black metal or just a Gorgoroth fan as a matter of fact you probably wont like this. I feal I've been over critical with this, you may like some songs (Exit Through Carven stone being my favourite from the album) for their good guitar work. I'm not going to say I don't recommend it, it's just not most peoples cup of tea, if you think you can hack it however I'd advise you to download one or two tracks first so you know what you're in for.

oldmanschild27
    King doesnt even play drums douche. Do some homework. Hes the bass player. Kvitrafn is the drummer on this album.
    Black-Metal
    Kvitrafn is the best black metal drummer i can think of. his work in jotunspor and wardrunna is amazing