Demon Days review by Gorillaz

• Released: May 24, 2005
Gorillaz: Demon Days

The sophomore album of the cartoon-cunundrums, aka Gorillaz, is at first hard to place, and later easy. Intro, the first track (obviously), is an interesting feature. Seeing as the album itself is much darker than their self-titled debut, it poses an introduction to their new world. One thing I noticed about this album is it made a lot more sense than the last (don't even get me started on Left Hand Suzuki Method). The bass lines are a little more funky and noticeable on some tracks, particularly "Kid's With Guns" (which is great dispite it's somber tone), the quasai-futuristic-sounding "O Green Earth", and the growingly popular "Feel Good Inc.", however has an electronic presence as well, which in an extremely odd way seems to dull and magnify the emotion at the same time. My personal favorite is "El Maana", which sounds like an electronic Tom Petty or Eric Clapton of the future. I give this a 5/5, because it is one of the best albums I have heard in a while. I personally am very glad, and relieved I picked it up.

I must be honest, I haven't taken the time to decypher the lyrics very well, but I must say that Damon Albarn, aka 2D (the one with the purple hair and no front teeth), has an excellent way of transferring his vocals into the music and having come out making sense. Very few are capable of that, the best of which (in my opinion) is Jonathan Davis. But in the case of Gorillaz, it has a sad, distorted feeling of perception, and you seem to feel hopeless, yet relaxed and tranquil at the same time. Another piece worth noting is the perfect addition of the laughter in "Feel Good Inc.". I thought having a single rap line being "Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Haaa" sheer genious, but maybe that's because I look at rap as the precussion of vocalism. I give it a 4/5, as it is very good, but it could be better.

The album known as demon days is a great buy if you enjoy softish rock, trip-hop, or tech-babble. It is the kind of album that an intellectual would buy, as opposed to something like I dunno Blink 182 (please don't hate me, but the lyrics are not mature, and that's what I meant by it). Like their privious album, they have had a slew of additions lending their talents. In the case of "Gorillaz", it was mainly Del Da Funky Homosapien, Lending his voice to (most memorably) "Rock The House", and the infamous "Clint Eastwood". In the case of "Demon Days", the first featured guest is none other than the seemingly maniacal De La Soul, but the big surprise was the cameo of Dennis Hopper's spoken dialogue in "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head". I personally loved the album for all the reasons stated above, but there are a few thing I would change. The track "White Light" sounds to me like a cop of NIN, and I do not feel that to be in sinc with their sense of style. Other than that, you will not see me grimacing as I play this on my computer. Quite the contrary.