Demon Days review by Gorillaz

• Released: May 24, 2005
Gorillaz: Demon Days

When I bought this album earlier in the year, I had high hopes, after listening to Gorillaz self titled album for several years. I was not dissapointed. Although different, the new album shows some of the Gorillaz flair that made the first album so great (catchy bass riffs, killer drum beats etc) and even develops a new style, with songs such as Demon Days, which features the London Community Gospel Choir, aswell as violins, violas, cellos and a double bass.

The lyrics in Demon Days go a bit deeper than the first album. Songs like Last Living Souls, El Manana and the great rap by Bootie Brown in Dirty Harry show a darker side to Gorrilaz than upbeat tunes like Rock The House and 19-2000 off their self titled album. The lyrics, although not pieces of literary genius (no Eminem style rhymes here) have been extremely well suited to the music, which is why the rating is high. Perhaps in the future it would be good to see more energy put into the words of the song, and less into the style of music to which they are matched.

All up, Demon Days is as good, if not better than the first album. The varied song style shows what Gorillaz is capable of as a band, which is good to see, although the original Gorillaz style shown in the songs is comforting for those that dont like change. In particular, Last Living Souls stood out to me as an especially good song, everything from the plain beginnings to the strong piano and guitar solos (which I have been trying to tab for months and still cant get it, and surprised to see no other Last Living Souls tabs on this site). If my copy was stolen I would definitely buy a new one, not only for the music, but the album leaf, which summarises each song into a picture, resulting in the coolest album leaf I have seen.