Gorillaz review by Gorillaz

Gorillaz: Gorillaz

This album sounds very good considering that it's the bands debut (I think). The thing about the Gorillaz is that they sound good when they want to. An example of this is the appropriately titled "Punk." It seems that 2D a Co. wanted to capture the essence of punk rock, and they have succeeded by making it sound under-produced. I really like the sound of this album and I think it deserves a 5.

From what I can tell, the lyrics are pretty average. I liked the rap lyrics on "Clint Eastwood" because they were original and complex. This wasn't the case of "Rock The House (Rock Da House)", unfortunately. They seemed to go with what the mainstream rappers wrote about (b--ches and ho's and whatnot). Although most of the time you can't understand what 2D is saying, I think the lyrics deserve an average rating.

This is a great experimental album, one that I wouldn't normally buy since I'm a punk-rocker who listens to Ludacris. The songs that stood out to me though are the singles, "Tomorrow Comes Today," "Clint Eastwood" and "19/2000." Other songs I liked are "Re-Hash," "5/4 (Five Four)," "Punk" (one of my favorite punk rock songs), "Latin Simone (Que Pasa Contigo)" and "Left Hand Suzuki Method." If someone stole this album I would chase them down the street, grab them by the arm and say, "Keep It" just so s/he could she how great it is. Then I would go buy it again.