Laika Come Home review by Gorillaz

• Released: Jul 16, 2002
Gorillaz: Laika Come Home

Many know the style of the Gorillaz. It is a mixture of modern beats, with emphasized bass and unique keyboard effects. With this album, that sound is converted into a Caribbean Dub Sound. Just about the entire album is a remix of songs from the original self-titled Gorillaz album. The SpaceMonkeyz are the crazy alter-ego of the Gorillaz. After appearing to create this album, no one has seen the monkeyz since. In real life, it is just the same creators of the Gorillaz, but that ruins the fun of an animated band. The sound was overall excellent, however, I myself am not that big of a fan of Dub music. Either way, it deserves a solid 8.

The lyrics, being that of the Gorillaz, are mainly an open-minded, eerey style that makes you laugh/think at the same time. However, a lot of the songs are Dub instrumentals that were created by the 'SpaceMonkeyz' as apose to the Gorillaz. Damon Albarn the creator of the Gorillaz, has an excellent voice, and has many times mentioned that at times they have dubbed the sound a bit to fit more the style of his band ego, 2-D. However, even when singing live he sounds truely majestic. It is the same case in Laika Come Home. Along with Damon Albarn, some Dub rappers join in on the fun.

The sad thing about this album is that it is not as great as the original debut of the Gorillaz, as well as the recent album Demon Days, but it does have a great effect. The album seems to have swept under the radar, but if you happen to come across it, I would definetly reccomend giving it a buy. Have fun with it.

Constantine
    Heh, I love this album.... The Spacemonkeyz did a great remix of it.... Incredible album, I personally find it better than the original, and perhaps even Demon Days.
    BassFishin
    Ya, i would say they are all very close, but i personally enjoy Demon Days the most.
    BassFishin
    ?....yes there is. for example, 5/4 from the Gorillaz album consits mainly of just acoustic guitar. And the song Punk is just that: rock.