Deja Voodoo review by Gov't Mule

• Released: Sep 14, 2004
Gov't Mule: Deja Voodoo

Gov't Mule is a very guitar-driven and blues-driven band. One way to describe their sound would be raunchy southern rock with a deep electric blues influence. Their reputation as a jam band really shines through on this album, especially with the haunting 11 minute centerpiece Silent Scream. Although having gotten their start in the 90s, you can definitely hear a lot of the 60s-70s classic rock n' roll sound in their music. There are two up-tempo rockers, "Slackjaw Jezebel" and "Mr. Man", as Haynes lets most of the songs find their own spooky, churning groove. Warren Haynes is an outstanding blues-rock guitarist, even having played with legendary rock/jam bands such as the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers Band. Every musician pulls their own weight on this album from the strong and distinguished bass to the wailing guitar and it definitely makes it worth the listen.

The lyrics compliment the blues theme on Deja Voodoo very well. Many are about the pains or concerns of life. Common themes, such as losing someone you love or politics. Some songs go a little deeper than others do. But of course, the lyrics would be nothing Warren Haynes to sing them. His voice is excellent. Perfect for bluesy material, such as this. There are quite a few moments on this album where you can feel the emotion he's portraying in the lyrics coming alive in the way he sings it. He definitely sings the songs the way they were intended to be sung. Overall, I was satisfied with the lyrics and singing skills.

Deja Voodoo is one of the first Gov't Mule albums I've ever listened to, and I was not the least bit disappointed with it. I was very satisfied with the variety of music contained on this album. There isn't a track that I dislike or don't find interesting. A few of my favorite songs from Deja Voodoo would be Slackjaw Jezebel and a haunted-sounding tune called Silent Scream. They were the highlights of the album for me. I would recommend this to anyone looking for some bluesy, guitar-driven music or some churning riffs. It has become an important part of my music collection and I would replace it if it were stolen without a doubt.

Savage Animal
    good album, but their best jams are from when allen woody was still alive. i've seen them live twice since then and although it's good, they used to be way more aggressive. check out their self-titled, dose, and live at the roseland ballroom to see what i mean