Deja Voodoo Review

Gov't Mule: Deja Voodoo
Released: Sep 14, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Rock & Roll, American Trad Rock, Blues-Rock
Deja Voodoo is the album Gov't Mule's promised to make since its inception; this is a new chapter in the life of a truly inspiring rock & roll band.
 9.4
 9.7
Deja Voodoo Reviewed by: aig91, on april 29, 2009

Sound: Gov't Mule is a very guitar-driven and blues-driven band. One way to describe their sound would be raunchy southern rock with a deep electric blues influence. Their reputation as a jam band really shines through on this album, especially with the haunting 11 minute centerpiece Silent Scream. Although having gotten their start in the 90s, you can definitely hear a lot of the 60s-70s classic rock n' roll sound in their music. There are two up-tempo rockers, "Slackjaw Jezebel" and "Mr. Man", as Haynes lets most of the songs find their own spooky, churning groove. Warren Haynes is an outstanding blues-rock guitarist, even having played with legendary rock/jam bands such as the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers Band. Every musician pulls their own weight on this album from the strong and distinguished bass to the wailing guitar and it definitely makes it worth the listen. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics compliment the blues theme on Deja Voodoo very well. Many are about the pains or concerns of life. Common themes, such as losing someone you love or politics. Some songs go a little deeper than others do. But of course, the lyrics would be nothing Warren Haynes to sing them. His voice is excellent. Perfect for bluesy material, such as this. There are quite a few moments on this album where you can feel the emotion he's portraying in the lyrics coming alive in the way he sings it. He definitely sings the songs the way they were intended to be sung. Overall, I was satisfied with the lyrics and singing skills. // 8

Overall Impression: Deja Voodoo is one of the first Gov't Mule albums I've ever listened to, and I was not the least bit disappointed with it. I was very satisfied with the variety of music contained on this album. There isn't a track that I dislike or don't find interesting. A few of my favorite songs from Deja Voodoo would be Slackjaw Jezebel and a haunted-sounding tune called Silent Scream. They were the highlights of the album for me. I would recommend this to anyone looking for some bluesy, guitar-driven music or some churning riffs. It has become an important part of my music collection and I would replace it if it were stolen without a doubt. // 9

Deja Voodoo Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2005

Sound: In my opinion, this band has a really great sound. They are definitely a blues band, but different than older blues, and they have a little bit of southern rock in their music. They have an excellent guitarist, who also tours with the Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers, and who is also the singer. They have a keyboard that is going strong throughout the entire album. The bass and drums greatly compliment the other music too. They definitely aren't copying anyone with their great sound, and I give them a 5 out of 5 for it. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics go along with the blues theme of their songs very well, and even though they aren't the greatest lyrics, they definitely work. They have an excellent singer who reminds me a lot of Greg Allman from The Allman Brothers (I hope I'm right abuot Greg being the singer). His voice really makes the words come alive. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd have to say that this is one of my favorite albums that have come out in the past five years. I don't hear much of this type of music with those new bands. The best songs on this album are Bad Man Walking and No Celebration, they have a great sound and soul. There are no bad songs on this album, and there really isn't anything to hate. I would definitely buy this album again if I ever lost it, or buy two just in case I lose one. // 10

Comments