Gov't Mule Review

Gov't Mule: Gov't Mule
Release Date: Oct 1995
Label: Relativity
Genres: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Southern Rock
Gov't Mule's self-titled debut is a scorching set of heavy blues-rockers.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Gov't Mule Reviewed by: Savage Animal, on july 14, 2006

Sound: From the first track, you can already tell that Warren Haynes and co. Will not dissappoint. His guitar sounds great for the bluesy rock sound they embrace, and his solos never let you down. The bass is strong and distinguished, and the drumming is superb! Warren's voice is strong and never falters. // 10

Lyrics: While the lyrics may be typic run-of-the-mill for the genre, they don't come off as silly or pretentious. They go well with the music, and thats all that matters with this band. Warren's voice is powerful enough to deliver any line, and it goes great with the bluesy vibe. // 9

Overall Impression: A great album from start to finish, it is one of my favorite cds to come out of the 1990s. Songs that stand out are "Monkey Hill", "Mother Earth", "Mule", and "Painted Silver Light". I honestly don't have any complaints with this album. However, I don't always listen to a band for the lyrics. They definitely make up for that with their great musicianship and sense of melody. If I ever lost this album, I'd go buy it again the same day. // 10

Comments