Y. U. So Shady review by Grady

Grady: Y. U. So Shady

I should start by saying this album is packaged to being a blues rock album. But it delivers a mix of metal, rock and what can only be described as cowboy rock. The best example of metal can be heard on the opening song on the album 'Hammer In My Hand'. An absolute gut-punch of a heavy riff (one of the heaviest I've heard) the riff is slow, brutal and best of all simple. Akin almost to Sabbath. Surprising for a band that is only a triplet (and Canadian). If 'cowboy rock' isn't a term it is now, it's the biggest theme of the album with songs like "Western Cowboy," "Ride Like Hell." It's good music for driving down the highway at 100mph. This album is the rebirth of Gordie 'Grady' Johnson of Big Sugar, hence the name. Also interesting to point out that Grady drummer Chris Layton made a name for himself playing in Texas Flood. Fronted, of course, by the man, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Like I said the theme is 'cowboy rock' Gordie's voice sounds like a cowboy, he has a Lemmy type of voice without the trademark growl. Truth is it gets a little boring but its really the attitude of the song and the hooks of "Three Minutes Song" and the cheeky "Women Got My Devil" that grab you and hold you by the you-know-where.

I keep throwing around "cowboy rock" and the only way I can describe this sound is a slowed down Motorhead or a faster, heavier Texas Flood. I honestly just looked at the album for the title 'Y. U. So Shady?' I thought I would give it a shot because I liked Gordie Johnson in Big Sugar. And for 10$, turns out this album is one of best rock albums I've got. I like to just jump in the car and cruise down the highway to it. Either way it's totally different from any of the other crap out there.