Happiness In Magazines review by Graham Coxon

• Released: May 25, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Graham Coxon: Happiness In Magazines

'Happiness in Magazines', basically just an album that is trying to say I'm as good as Blur when I'm by myself. Which if Graham Coxon thinks is true, he is very wrong. The album jumps to a start with 'Spectacular', which in all fairness is a pretty good track, but it does scream out, I want radio play. Which it will get it's a catchy song, repetitive, but the middle-aged women will love it! The sound of the album is relatively similar to 'The Great Escape' but doesn't feel like it is a collection of ditched songs, although it could be, because some songs are poor, and I mean very poor. He's a clever guy, a very good guitarist, an ok singer but not good enough to sing lead for an entire album. It's lacking talent in all honesty. Not a creative spark in the album, you would have heard it all 10 times before.

Lyrically it is poor, I'm foaming at the mouth and I'm really freakin' out You can tell Graham doesn't write the lyrics for Blur, and these are probably the best lyrics on the album! His voice is good on one or two tracks, noticeably 'Freakin' Out' but over the duration of the album it gets irritant and just gets on your nerves till you're fed up with him for the next 6 months. Not a good trait for an artist!

Overall the album is poor. Missing everything that is great about Blur. A chapter to forget for Graham Coxon who generally is quite talented, but it doesn't show here. The only stand out track is 'Freakin' Out' which was a huge hit. If I lost the CD I wouldn't replace it, I would download 'Freakin' Out' and that would be it. It's dreary, unimaginative, samey album and is just a man trying to scream out I'm good without Blur! When in all honesty, he really isn't!