Grand Funk review by Grand Funk Railroad

• Released: Jan 1, 1969
Grand Funk Railroad: Grand Funk

Hard to believe that this album or band wasn't on any reviews. Grand Funk Railroad was the top grossing U.S. band in the 1970s in the U.S. They are one of the original "Hard Rock" bands that enjoyed success in the 1970s. The album "Grand Funk" or better known as "The Red Album" is a dose of in your face heavy "r&b" drenched soulful rock. The guitar tones on this album are amazing. Mark Farner played with two simple effects, a fuzz pedal and overdrive. The sound on this album is amazing and Farner belts out catchy riffs with good accompaning solos. All of GFR's catolouge has been remastered by Capitol so the sound is great. Brewer (drums) and Schacher (Bass) add a killer rythym section. Most fans would point to "American Band" or "Closer to Home" as GFR's most famous works, but this one kicks you in the teeth with it's unforgiving punch of heavy rock n' roll.

Mark Farner sings about the issues of the era. The album was released in 1970 so naturally Farner talks about drugs, booze, war, social issues of the day and also good times. The lyrics for example on "Paranoid" seem to reference keeping an eye out for uncommon things. Overall the lyrics are fun natured and very memorable.

What a killer album. Overall this album to me is one of their most "raw" and heavy albums. If you want something that is refreshing and will stay in your CD player for a long time go out and buy "Grand Funk" and enjoy. Hands down one of the best in the classic rock catologue. If I were to lose this I would buy it back immediately. Go out and experience the american band, Grand Funk Railroad.

fattypumbaa
    God I love Grand Funk they're one of those great forgotten bands like Blue Cheer or Vanilla Fudge or Thin Lizzy even I understand why ever kid goes for Zeppelin or Floyd or AC/DC but Grand Funk should be recognized as a great Rock band cause that's exactly what they are and this is truly a great Rock N Roll record
    wildyoda2
    Grand Funk opened for Led Zeppelin's first American tour until they were dropped for being too loud and too "hard rock". LZ had trouble following them on stage! The audiences were already drained by the time LZ performed. I think that's what eventually led GFRR down the pop path, but even their pop is good. Check out their live double album. The rawness and simplicity is the very definition of classic arena rock.