The Sophtware Slump Review

Grandaddy: The Sophtware Slump
Release Date: May 29, 2000
Label: V2
Genres: Indie Rock, Neo-Psychedelia
Though it's a little more self-conscious and not quite as accomplished as either of those albums, it is Grandaddy's most impressive work yet and one of 2000's first worthwhile releases.
 9.1
 9.7
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Sophtware Slump Reviewed by: josh w c, on february 13, 2008

Sound: I can see why Grandaddy haven't been reviewed here before because they're not strictly a guitar-based band but they do use a lot of acoustic guitar and some electric so they qualify. If you haven't heard much of them they're a great electronica influenced band, and The Sophtware Slump is their second full-length, and in my opinion best, album. Their sound varies from strange, beautiful synth sounds and melodies to a laid-back rock sound with driving drum beats and acoustic guitar, but also has quite a bit of piano. Their songs are memorable and catchy, and are relaxing as well as intriguing and intelligent. The mood created can be sad yet uplifting, but also fun and upbeat. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Grandaddy are another high point, ranging from quirky and funny to gentle and odd (there's a great song about a robot dying called 'Jed The Humanoid'). The imagery created is fantastic, 'should never have left the crystal lake, for areas where trees are fake/and dogs are dead with broken hearts, collapsed beside the coffee carts' (from 'The Crystal Lake'). The lead singer's voice is gentle and more like melodic speech than full-blown singing but fits in nicely with the feel of the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this album is an absolute masterpiece, a real stroke of genius. As I say it's my favourite album of theirs, behind their follow up 'Sumday' which was also really good and consistent. For me the highlights of this album, if one must choose, are the opener 'He's Simple, he's dumb, he's the pilot', track three 'Jed The Humanoid', track four 'The Crystal Lake' and track ten 'Miner At The Dial-a-view'. Word of warning, don't be put off by the very long and quite repetetive first track (although it's brilliant)! Highly recommend this album, try it! If it was lost I would most definitely buy it again. // 10

Comments