Granicus review by Granicus

Granicus: Granicus

I was searching for some really classical Hard Rock from the '60s and '70s. A band with a style similiar to Led Zeppelin, but with a heavier sound. And Granicus is exactly the band, I've been looking for. With 5 heavy songs and 3 ballads the album is not very various in style, but the songs sound quit different, even for the first time you listen them. The the ballads begin with a misterious acustic part and then grow up to an asskicking hard part. In the heavy songs the heavy rolling parts are mixed up by fast bridges, mosty containing a vocal or guiatr solo. The lead guitarist uses a lot of overdubs, what at some moments sounds too chaotic, a little bit trashy. This psychedelic, progressive garage music is perfect for driving on the motorway or rocking out with your vacuum cleaner.

The singer Woody Leffel really spices up the music! Sounding like a guitar blasting a solo through a Marshall wall, he reaches very high positions and got a range over 3 octaves. He is often compared to Robert plant, but his voice is more powerful, it gets through to your bone marrow. Actually, in the last song Paradise the screaming is excessive, a bit too much for my nerves. The lyrics are typical for that era of music: Leffel sings about Drugs, Chicks n' Sex, dysfunction and the Vietnam war.

Like I already wrote, you could compare Granicus to Led Zeppelin, but they have a heavier style. The second song Bad Talk represents the whole album: noteworthy rhythm riffs combined with amazing overdubbed guitar solos and screaming vocals. That's what I call Hard Rock! The fourth song Prayer is an 11 minutes long ballad, that begins with a restful part like Stairway to Heaven, spiced up with some guitar effects like reverse reverb. Then the singer intensifies the ballad with his screaming, until the song finishes with chaotic guitar and vocal solos. You wouldn't survive listening to Granicus the whole day, but this album is a really gem of Hard rock! So if you like Led Zeppelin, early Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Guns N'Roses or Black Sabbath, just give it a try! //This is my first review, and I know it's not the best. Also I want to apologize for some grammar crap you will find, English is not my native language. So feel free to criticize, the reason I wrote this review is that I wanted to share this great band with you all! Check them out on youtube!

Aryon
    Unfortunatly theres no on the internet, if ill have some time ill try to make at least the intro