Gravity Won't Get You High Review

Grates: Gravity Won't Get You High
Release Date: Aug 29, 2006
Label: Dew Process/Cherrytree/Interscope
Genres: Rock
Gravity Won't Get You High is an impressive album and is a milestone for the Aussie music industry!
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Gravity Won't Get You High Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2006

Sound: Yet another cool band from Brisbane, Australia. The grates use scratchy, distorted yet "fun" riffs that really light up the mood when played (if you know what I mean). The first track "I Won't Survive" came as a bit of a sprise to me when I first heard it, I was expecting a pop/rock number but it was a quiet fingerpicking song but it still had rock parts to it. To my suprise they actually curse a lot within thier songs, such as "inside outside" were the opening line is, some motherers think their born to dance which is repeated twice. Bieng thier first album after eight! EPs they are using new instuments played by 'extras' in the band. Using such instruments an the banjo, fiddle, saw, whistle and keyboards. What's also cool about the band the toured with the Arctic Monkeys! With multiple sold-out shows! // 8

Lyrics: Songwriter Patience Hodgson has written some great lyrics to go with this album. By the way the songs are named you would suggest that the singer would be a 8 year old girl, "Nothing Sir", "Trampoline" and "lies (are much more fun)" but hey she'd actually a pretty great singer. Lots of yells and stressed words work with the style of music they are playing. Throughout the songs drummer, Alana Skyring adds lots of backgroud yells like 'hey' and 'not mes! 'as said in the fold out booklet/artwork of the album. John patterson (guitarist) also adds lots of shouts and yells. // 7

Overall Impression: To be honest I can't think of any other bands that the grates sound like or are similar to, they were inspired by the Ramones and Yeah Yeah Yeahs though. The artwork of this album is completely kickass, it folds out and has cool little drawings and stuff all over it, and the back cover is cool too. The most impressive songs from the album and "19 20 20", "Inside Outside", "Science Is Golden" and "Feels Like Pain". The only song I dislike on the album is "nothing sir" wich is a quite boring piano song. If I was devestatingly robbed or just lost the album I wouldn't need to buy it again because it's on iTunes! But seriously, 'Gravity Won't Get You High' is an impressive album and is a milestone for the Aussie music industry! // 9

Comments