Reaching The Ends Of The Earth Review

artist: Gray Lines Of Perfection date: 10/09/2008 category: compact discs
Gray Lines Of Perfection: Reaching The Ends Of The Earth
Released: May 20, 2008
Label: Harvest Earth
Gray Lines of Perfection has been working hard spreading their name for the last four years. With self booked tours and a self released EP the band quickly begun building a fan base.
 3.7
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Reaching The Ends Of The Earth Reviewed by: OceansAway523, on october 09, 2008

Sound: Gray Lines of Perfection is a christian band out of New Jersey that I've personally been a fan of since their "Evening Came and Morning Followed" release. However, on this album, their sound has definitely changed. The album opens with "Tune In", where the new vocalist's scream almost sounds tampered with. The backing screams have a more natural (but not necessarily better) sound to it. I try to ignore this observation throughout the whole album. Here's a track by track review. 01. Tune In: The album suddenly starts with no warning with this song. I was very impressed with this song. Especially with the last minute of the song, surprising me with a very melodic instrumental close to the song. 02. Come, Kingdom: The clean vocals arrive! And also are much improved since their last release. This song is the first track on the album to contain a somewhat of a breakdown (if you want to call it that). "Hallelujah!" they sing at the end of this song, directly showing their christian background. A Very good song. 03. Changes: The beginning of this song caught my attention, but then went downhill from there. The lead guitar (talking about the guitar starting about twenty seconds into the song) doesn't seem to fit or flow at all. Which was one of their problems on their last release as well. A ok song. 04. Anchor Against Tempest: This song opens with some group vocals which is always a favorite. But in this case, it sounded like they were there for the sole reason of just having a group vocal. The lyrics don't stand out, and it's just there. However, this is one of my favorites. The song ends with an emotional monologue, with a voice of anger screaming "God forbid, we would ignore your glory". In my opinion, the way he says it is kind of cheesy, but it gets the job done. 05. Return To Dust: The shortest song on the record, and the most gratuitous. Screaming about how everything will basically fade away, it does nothing for me. I see no need for this song. 06. We Wont Fall Again: A good choice to put after Return to Dust. This song picks the pace back up and grabs your interest back. This is probably my favorite song on the album. This song also has group vocals, but this time (even though they're quick) they work. The end of this song (starting around 2:30) is my absolute favorite part of the album. Starts off like the end of Tune In, but ends with the clean and screaming vocals saying 'We Wont Fall Again!" Good song. 07. Letting Go: This song also contains a spoken monologue, but this time, it's not cheesy. Listen to the words. And finally, the song ends with their first breakdown, kind of... oh well. Another good song. 08. Reaching The Ends of the Earth: The title track of the album is instrumental and contains lots of different instruments. I always enjoy hearing some violins in this genre of music. A good track that's worth listening to. 09. Can You Believe: Pretty much sounds like every other song. Had hopes that this song would be different after the previous track. 10. Set Ablaze: And then my wish came true. Set Ablaze is a slower track, and contains no screaming. The only vocals in this song are sung by what sounds like a chorus of boys. I just wish I knew what they were saying... This song also contains orchestral instruments. A peaceful ending to the album. // 8

Lyrics: Ill be honest, I couldn't understand what he was saying 80% of the time. Unless I REALLY payed attention. But what I heard, I liked. Lots of the lyrics I could understand were indeed religious. I enjoyed listening to the monologues, like the one in Letting Go, which probably has the best lyrics on the album. If lyrics is what your looking for, Letting Go is for you. I probably would have more to say on the lyrics, if I could understand the vocalist. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I love the melodic stuff. For the Fallen Dreams and Misery Signals are my favorite bands in this kind of music. Reaching the Ends of the Earth definitely has beautiful moments and also integrates the melodic guitar well with the heavy parts. However, when the lead guitar was playing over the rhythm it absolutely did not seem to fit well at all a good amount of the time it happened. When I say the lead guitar playing, I don't mean like the beginning of changes or we wont fall again, I mean about twenty seconds into changes, when he starts playing individual notes. It gets on my nerves. Another thing is that a lot of the songs sound very similar. When I first listened to the album in it's entirety, sometimes I couldn't tell when a song ended. All in all, the album did have some unique moments and I do enjoy listening to it quite often. But. If there was one more two-step beat I might have thrown myself out a window. // 8

Comments