Food For Thought Review

Gray Matter: Food For Thought
Released: Jul 7, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock
What's especially nice about Food for Thought is how it is catchy without being, say, yet another Ramones knockoff.
 9.6
 9.3
 9.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Food For Thought Reviewed by: pyro_the_bear, on october 05, 2004

Sound: Well what can I say, Gray Matter are legends in the DC area coming from the punk rock revolutionary era of the late 80's to early 90's. They were one of the big players during the period, you can read all about the early evolution of music in that area in Dave Grohl's biography (everybody who knows anything will know that Dave was involved in dain bramage, scream, freak baby and killing joke before he even touched Nirvana). Some of the songs are so catchy it annoys the crap outta me, the best example of this is their cover of the beatles classic "I am the walrus". Musicaly I'm normaly the first to criticise when a bands music isn't up to scratch-it's just so damn simple, but still it sounds good and that's all that matters isn't it? When I say simple the guitar bass and drums can all be mastered by someone with little skill. Looks pathetic but it sounds completely kick ass with some fast but simple drums and bass to accompany it. Despite being very simple the music is well structured and it's a good song to just jam with: whatever instrument you play. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the best part of this album, enough metaphors and figurative language in here to satisfy your english teacher for the rest of the year. The singing wouldn't cut it in any style of music but because it's punk most people would let it slip because it fits in almost perfectly with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is realy something special, it demands respect from even the most stuborn of punk haters. The best song is easily "I Am The Walrus" but I'm only saying that because it's so damn catchy and I'm currently listening to it for the 4th time in succession. I think most people would like this, no matter what your taste in music is, I listen to death metal, heavy metal and a bit of black metal and I could never imagine myself dabling with this sort of material but once I heard it I was hooked. This is the first album I've reviewed that gets a 5 it's just that good, go out and get this kids, imerse yourself in the punk history. // 10

Comments