Go West Young Man Let The Evil Go East review by Greeley Estates

• Released: May 6, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Greeley Estates: Go West Young Man Let The Evil Go East

The sound on this CD is much heavier then anything from them before. It starts right off with a hard hitting "Blue Morning", no space taking intro or instrumentals. Alot of double bass and "Brutal" screaming make this record sound like something you would expect from drop dead gorgeous or attack attack. The guitar has improved a lot from the last records. No more punk riffs and power chords. It sounds more metal with songs like "Let The Evil Go East" and "There's Something Wrong With The World Today". The whole CD is way more explosive with breakdowns, tons of double bass, sick riffs and some samples thrown in for good measure.

The lyrics have alot of dark and scary themes, "Theres Something Wrong With The World Today" "Blue Morning" or like being caught in a robbery/ hold up "Desperate Times Call For Desperate Housewives". The lyrics are still kind of immature and don't have a lot of meaning. After seeing them live ryan can't hit the notes for more then 3 songs although they are real on recording. It's kind of dissapointing cause it's seems like it's all about him and he is competing with the music for the attention. He constantly talks about being a man but in a Whiny high pitched voice... Not so manly. The screams have definately gotten better and the lows and growls are great.

This album is definately heavier and compares to artists like ATTACK ATTACK, older VANNA, Drop Dead, Gorgeous or A Skylit Drive. I'm blown away by Brian's explosive beats and crazy guitar riffs. The lyrical content could use some work but ryans voice has befinately gottan better over time. I would have to say that if it was lost I would purchase it again just because I myself am from phoenix AZ and like to support local guys. Ryan needs somebody to pay for his makeup + Hair stylist.