No Rain, No Rainbow review by Greeley Estates

• Released: Jan 26, 2010
Greeley Estates: No Rain, No Rainbow

For people that know Greeley Estates, they know that they have gotten heavier with each new album they released. They know that the band started off as more of a poppy rock/screamo band, with guitars only dropped down to Drop D. The singer sang back then... Then came Far from the Lies, which was a little heavier than the rest. Some songs were in Drop C, and there was a bit more screaming involved. Then... there was their big hit and breakout: Go West Young Man, Let the Evil Go East. The guitars were down to Drop C to most of the songs... and the singer screamed way more. It was their breakout album, and that's how they gained most of their popularity. But now, here it is: No Rain, No Rainbow. Drop B guitars throughout the whole album. There is virtually no singing (with the exception of a few guest vocalists), and it is intense and frenetic. For some, this album is a HUGE step backward for the band. I think it's a step forward. The songs seem to be very thought out, and the guitars are phenomenal. Ryan's screaming has gone to a whole new level, and does not sound like any other screamer out there. He brings a uniqueness to the band. The guitars are extremely well-produced, having a crisp sound to them and sharp accuracy. Fast riffs and odd time signatures (They Won't Stay Dead, Seven Hours) really do themselves well for this album. The drums shine on this album. But it's the guitars that bring the uniqueness with Ryan's screaming. Each song tells a separate story... mostly about break-ups (Loyal.com, The Offer, Jealousy Breeds Killing Sprees) or even about being chased by the undead (They Won't Stay Dead, You'll Never Leave Vegas Alive), or drowning (Swim For Your Lives). The album overall is just very well thought-out and produced, making a grade-A sound.

The lyrics throughout each song are kind of on and off. For the serious songs, the lyrics shine (The Offer, Loyal.com, Jealousy Breeds Killing Sprees, Friends Are Friends for Never). But for the less-serious songs, the lyrics don't really mean anything (They Won't Stay Dead, Swim for Your Lives). Maybe it's just because they're just for-fun songs, and are just meant to be enjoyed and listened to without having the songs criticized. I think that's what it is...

Greeley Estates is very unique in that their singer sounds nothing like the rest, and the guitars have very unique riffs, and the breakdowns don't use the usual rhythms you hear in other breakdowns. Most of them are extremely complicated, but they still have a rhythm to them. And that's what really stands out for me. There is really nothing on this album that I do not like... except for the fact that I have no idea why Ryan doesn't sing anymore. He has a spectacular voice, as shown on their previous album. But, they took a new direction, so maybe it had to be done.... If you're on iTunes, and you have a limited amount of money, and you do not want to buy the whole album, then you should consider buying these ones: 01. I Shot the Maid 02. Loyal.com 03. Friends Are Friends for Never 04. Jealousy Breeds Killing Sprees 05. Lying Through Your Teeth Doesn't Count As Flossing 06. You'll Never Leave Vegas Alive All of the songs are great, but these are the standout ones. Overall... 9/10. Great work, Greeley. Can't wait to hear what you have for us for your next album!

larrytheguitar
    I've heard the Go West album and it was alright, I'll check this out later. One thing I have to point out is that you're making it seem like the lower the tuning, the heavier the music, which isn't true.
    Ibanezrocker800
    suggy88
    Ibanezrocker800 wrote: In my opinion, this is their best cd to date. heavy as all hell. it may not be the most original cd ever composed, but it certainly sets them above their peers.
    Agreed. I really really enjoyed this album
    iamghost
    larrytheguitar, I know that's not true all the time, but I'm just saying that for them, it is true.
    Pagan_Poetry
    I'm not a fan of this band, but I wanted to comment on the name of the album. It's actually quite clever. Kudos.
    pultheplug
    EpiExplorer wrote: What a depressing name for an album..
    I think its actually a positive album name, but I guess it depends on your reading of it. I took it as without rain you cannot have a rainbow, meaning you need to know sadness in order to know happiness. I didn't take it as a double negative but that also makes sense. Quite provocative
    xicetraex
    iamghost
    xicetraex wrote: iamghost wrote: I actually talk to the band on myspace quite frequently, and I asked them what the album artwork and name meant, and this is what they said: we just really liked the creepy imagery of it. it goes along w/ the title. like being in a scary, tough, or crappy situation. like any art piece, we left it open to individual interpretation. but the diver is in a scary situation. gotta do some work or thought into getting out alive. no rain, no rainbow.. have to go thru or do things you may not want to do to get to the prize. Looks quite similar to the Bioshock 2 ad right next to it.. kinda funny. And this is one of my buddies favorite bands. He lives in Michigan and sees them live pretty frequently.
    damn i'm jealous... they never come to milwaukee... hopefully they'll come to warped tour this year... but they said that probably won't happen...
    danimalhxc
    Just wanted to say Swim For Your Lives isn't about drowning is about fake Christians. So the lyrics kinda to mean something lol
    horrorelectric
    I've been a fan of Greeley Estates since their album "Outside of This". Greeley Estates has been my favorite band SINCE then. When Go West Young Man, Let The Evil Go East came out, at first I didn't really like it, then turned out to absolutely love it. I can't really say the same for this album though. I really don't quite know what to say. I feel like Go West seemed more meaningful. I like a few songs on here, but I'm not too crazy about it. I'll always support these guys though. (:
    ItsDropDNick
    Not a bad album, but I actually think the production is pretty shitty to be honest. Tends to sound quite messy at times =/