1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

First off, I would like to ponder why this is the first review of this album. Could it be that it is near older than I? Mabye because it isn't mainstream Green Day sound. Both are a possibility, but I believe it is because NO ONE HAS IT! The sound of this album is quite different than Billie Joe's "normal sound." He gives a sound similar to the ex-lead singer of Five Iron Frenzy. Those interested in his Basket Case, Good Riddance, and Brain Stew sound will not find what they are looking for. The bass riffs are insane compared to what you will find on any of International Superhits or any post-Dookie disk. The drumming on track...well, all of them are mind pounding fast and trey looks like hes barely breaking a sweat on all of them. I mean, these riffs are things that would look like a thing of beauty to Lars(Metallica). The innovative beat in "Green Day"(track 5) are percusion harmony...The greatest thing for me to find was that track 3, entitled "I was there," moves away from the power chord sound we have all come to know as Green Day. Finally, BJ Armstrong's voice is perfect to go with his self-written, self-played riffs. Oh yeah, and there are 3 songs in which he plays metal solos...

Well, this is a hard one. My first impression of the vocals in the album were "oh no," and "this was a waste of $16.00." I was one of those people expecting the Billie Joe we see on MTV, Fuse, and Letterman. Then I looked at it from a musical standpoint. These are great vocals, and they improve as the disk goes on. Not only do they improve, they improve again. Not to say the first 10 songs(taken from their first underground) are crappy, but the next 9 (that's right...there are 19 songs on this B1TcH) are awesome! The lyrics themselves are different than anything you will ever hear from them. For example let me hum you a few bars. Sit down for a while, And mabye if you smile, then you'll realize that we're all the same Honestly, how often do you hear them talking about smiles? Quite refreshing. The backing vocals by Dirnt are precise and crisp, but nothing special, seeing as he NEVER sings without Billie taking the lead.

Using variations on power chords. That still sound good distorted is a thing of art, and I am now proud to say I am a Green Day fan. Even through this they have left the simplicity and creativity we find fun. Unfortuinatly, there are some things i dont like on it. The "Knowledge" cover (originaly by Operation IVY) was less than sub-par, and "Rest" is a waste of time. I am surprised this album didn't get mainstream credit with songs such as "I Was There," "Going To Pasalaqua," "16," and best of all, "Road To Acceptance." This disk is definitely one to buy for anyone who has a need for something new (I know, it's 14 years old...don't ask, just buy). Please buy this record, review it, and give my review some backing.

Liam
    (in answer to the first guys review) man! loads of ppl have this! i ahve it! and saying its not mainstream is a reason why no1 has reviewed is rubbish! i love green day dont get me wrong they rock! and american idiot is my fav album! but this album, really is rubbish garage band music! admit it please!? they sing bout girls adn losing thema nd loving them! that is it! i love Dookie! its more Billie singing bout his mental disabilities and mikes -dookie is good! proper lyrics! good well thought emotional lyrics. just cos you like green day and you think your kwl cos you like 10/39 smooth it doesnt make it so! listen to th album! it aint good! ahh that feel good to get off my chest
    fezaan66
    i really like this album, but i do belive ''Rest'' kinda sux - everything else on the cd rocks tho.
    Grat IX
    he played the metal solos because he used to listen to metal. its my 2nd favorite green day album!!!!
    hawkdude9
    thecunningrunts wrote: You can get the cd off ebay easy! Or just any music store...i found one last week in a Sanity or HMW (depending where you are living)! The drummer is tre cool and its drum fills. Cheers, Ben
    actually they had a different drummer on this album, cant remember his name tho
    Greendaypunkit
    noodlerod wrote: i dont have this album,yet.but i can only buy one album and i dont know if i should buy this one or international superhits.i really have like no clue.
    that really depends on which other Green Day albums you have, if you have all the others then go for 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, because apart from free (Totally Awesome) tracks, International Superhits is a collection of all Green Days singles. but tbh i can recommend ALL Green Day albums lol
    noodlerod
    wildchild6660
    jaden54 wrote: this is a great album, took me a while to find it though holland isn't the best place to find a Green Day Cd
    You think you have it bad. Try finding Green day (or any rock albums) in Sri Lanka.
    jaden54
    nimrodidiot
    The drummer in this album isn't Tre. It's John Kriffmeyer. I'm not sure how to spell his last name, but that's who the drummer is. One of these reviews said that Green Day is an emo wannabe band. That's the dumbest thing I think I've heard in a long while. Anyways, 39/Smooth s a great album. Nice solos, and touching lyrics, and I love it.
    thegrimace1039
    Ok i was just reading what i wrote but when i said that vocals were once again great I ment like in all the other albums sorry guys not that you care =)
    Liam
    sorry little typo -i meant to say american idiot ISNT my fav album -it IS NOT
    punkrox101
    iloveyourmom13 wrote: This CD was origionally 39/Smooth. It was re-released as "1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" later on, ofcourse with their EP's "1,000 Hours" and "Slappy" included. I can honestly remember playing Nintendo at 3 yrs old with my brother in his room listening to a "pirated" CASSETTE TAPE. (If some of you even rembeber the pre-cd era.) My brother got a 39/Smooth cassette tape from a Berkely hippy. We litteraly played that tape to death. Then Kerplunk was soon released in '91. I remember we had to special order it from a local independent record store.. Needless to say, I've been a Green Day fan almost litterally my whole life, and this was what started it all.. I can never pin down a 'Favorit' Green Day cd. It all depends on my mood and what I may be going through in life at the time you ask me. It's usually always 39/Smooth, Kerplunk, or Nimrod.. So for now, I'll just say it's a three-way tie.. The whole album is not about 'Girls and Love' .. If you really listen to it you'll realize it. For instance, 16 is about being a teenager, growing up, noticing your friends changing and new responsibilties being thrown at you. He's pretty much realizing how easy life was when you were a kid and allready missing what he's just lost.. Road to Acceptance is collectively about being whoever the **** you wanna be and not giving a **** what anybody thinks about it. Could that fall under one of the many true definitions of "Punk" itself? I think so.. And to think all the people nowadays claiming "Green Day isn't punk and never was!" What do I have to say to them? Simply, "Road To Acceptance" because that's all it takes.. "Why Do You Want Him?" is about Billie Joe's mom dating after the death of Billie's father. Once you know this and listen to the song it kind of clicks. People who were in similar situation can relate to this song and for those who do relate it can be a very powerfull song.. Op Ivy's Knowledge cover ofcourse, not about girls and love.. Duh. Though many song's of the album do refer to "her" and "she" it's really about how you take in the album personally. Different points of view and differing interpritations.. It's whatever you think it is.. Cheers to Green Day fans new and old, for this is your ammunition to fight the GD haters.. For those who say Billie sucks at guitar, he played the Knowledge solo with his guitar ontop of his head in October of '05 in LA.. I was their, I saw, I now believe.. lol. "The boy can play!" I wish when everybody bought American Idiot, they got a free copy of 39/Smooth. I can't stand when people claim to be the biggest Green Day fan ever after buying AI and then when you ask them what they thought about 39/Smooth they stare at you blankly.. Or when people say, "Green Days first cd.. You know? The one with Basketcase and Longview.." I guess sometimes you just gotta shake your head and start teaching some of these so called fans some real Green Day pride. You've got to introduce them to this ablum and Kerplunk! A true GD fan will not hate the newer GD fans. We've got to tech 'em what Green Day's all about..
    great comment. for those of you that want to get the album, i believe they sell it at walmart now. they re-released the album so it'll be easier to buy.
    nerk13
    I love this CD. I just endured a four hour car trip by listening to this and Kerplunk. I thought the guitar solos and back vocals were alot different. The lyrics are still amazing, but they are all pretty much about the same thing. Billie's vocals astound me on here, he was 18 or 19 when he did this and they're pretty good. Everyone was pretty good considering their age. The only thing I don't like is the drumming, not the same without Tre. They made a wise decision, in my opinion, giving John the boot. My favorite songs are probably At The Library Green Day Why Do You Want Him Dry Ice Rest Of course, there isn't really a bad song on there. I especially liked Why Do You Want Him because that was reportedly Billie's first song, written at age fourteen, about his dick of a step dad. I can relate and loved the way the lyrics perfectly got the point across. It's an overall great album and I'll probably get around to doing a proper review sometime.
    thecunningrunts
    iloveyourmom13
    les paul junior
    this is my favourite Green Day album although the songs it isn't really various. The lyrics are great and the music is awsome! the album also haves a view great guitar solo's in it. I think my favourite song is the judges doughter and like rockrchic05 said there's no such thing as a bad Green Day album they all rock!
    ST. DIZZY!
    rokrchic05 wrote: there is no such thing as a bad green day album. Every song this band has ever written has good music and good lyrics. I think that you need to open your mind a little more and stop talking crap! Plus...just cos you like green day and you think your kwl cos you like 10/39 smooth it doesnt make it so! that is a bunch of bs. i dont think that he wrote this review just so a bunch of his buddies would think he's cool cuz he's into the old school punk stuff. so how bout this.... um... shut the hell up!
    I Concurr
    Feel bad inc.
    to the first guy tre didnt drum on this album john kriftermier did thats why the drumming sounds different
    rokrchic05
    to the first guy... not a lot of people have the CD because nobody knew Green Day was around except for a select few that were around the club scenes they played in (or possibly the high schools and parties) plus they don't really make them anymore. I had to go on amazon to find it cuz i couldn't find it in any of the stores. And i have to agree. Singing about smiles is very refreshing. and to this Liam guy. you can shut up! this album was made like 13 years ago. the reason Billie wrote about girls and being in love throughout the whole album is because it was probably most improtant to him at the time. there is no such thing as a bad green day album. Every song this band has ever written has good music and good lyrics. I think that you need to open your mind a little more and stop talking crap! I like dookie too, but i have to admit a little love in their songs is nice every once in a while. singing about something other than masturbation is refreshing. its something different. Plus...