1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

OK this is the last Green Day album I bought (now have all 9), and to be honest I didn't expect much as its their first album, I thought it was going to be disappointing. Wrong! The sound on this album is actually incredible and different to all their other later music. It has a typical punk sound, but with some more rock-sounding solos that sound awesome. The riffs are catchy, but the downside is they do sound like some of the later riffs like 'when I come around'. But to be honest, who cares. This albums sound is amazing and makes up for this and more.

There's not much I can say about lyrics, lyrics are lyrics, this album is obviously Green Day style lyrics. They are repetitive in a punky way which I think really suits it. Billy can sing very well especially for a first album. Not a bad thing to say about the lyrics or singing. Excellent.

This album is probably the best punk album I own, and I'm not even a punk-sorta person (though I am sitting here in a Blink 182 t-shirt hehe). I am into bands like Lostprophets, Funeral For A Friend, Red Hot Chili Peppers, so basically if you like any kinda rock music you will love this album. I can't choose a favourite song, they all flow brilliantly. I wouldn't choose to listen to one song, it'll be the whole album. I gotta say, as its the last Green Day album I needed, this is my favourite (followed by Dookie). What I like most about it is the music, it is different to all their new stuff. They usually have small melodic solos, but this album brings out some great talent in Billy's guitaring, proper hard-rock styled solos, that I even might have trouble playing some of them. A great guitar album and punk album. Another thing worth mentioning is that there are 19 songs on it and this is great because its not a short album. I finished listening to it the first time and would have put it straight back on again if it wasn't gone 1 in the morning! Next time I go to Green Day concert (saw them in Milton Keynes with Taking Back Sunday and Jimmy Eat World, they all kicked major ass). I demand they play more from this album. But this album, its a necessity to your CD collection!