1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

I got this today. I was expecting it to be an average album. I already had 2 or 3 songs from it on my computer so I bought it 'cause of that. This is really an amazing album. All 19 songs are great, even though it sounds like it's been recorded in a tin can it's still has a nice punk rock feel to it. The solo's are amazing, they are totally different to the solos they do now with octaves etc, there fast and furious, sounds like a rock album. The CD was released in 1990. John Kriftmeyer the original drummer left just before it was released. You'll find on the back of the booklet it says John as the drummer. It is a punk based album with a cover copy of Operation Ivy's 'Knowledge' this is the quietest song on this album. What am I calling it an album for, as it's actually a compilation of songs from LP's such as 1000 hours and other EP's. All though the songs all sound same there still 5 star.

The lyrics are typical Green Day style. Their lyrics in 'American Idiot, EP' are more grown up if you like. Most of there songs on this CD are about girls, they want a girl or want a girl to leave them alone etc., e.g. 'What is it that drives me mad/Girls like you I never had'. 'Last night I had a dream and she was in it again'. The lyrics are powerful and fun. Billie joe still sounds pretty much the same. His singing is still clear and loud in these earlier albums. Mike has improved alot though, even though he sounds good in the older albums, his tone has improved in the later albums.

This is an awesome album, even though it's not better than 'Dookie' it is still one of their best. The drumming is good, vocals and the guitar riffs are catchy and fun. The rendition of 'Knowledge' is great. The most impressive songs on this album are, Green Day, At The Libary, Going To Pasalacqua and The One I Want, although there all 5 star songs, these songs have just got an extra touch. The only thing that annoyed me was the drumming on the song 'Green Day' but I've grown to like it and its one of my favourite songs now. If this album was stolen I'd definately buy it again, it's worth it.