1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

The sound of this album is ok. It really is kinda of a ringing and blah sound. I mean it still has plenty of distortion and still is a badass sound, but I think the way it was recorded was very low-budget. It is a very original sound considering it is still a punk album.

They are a little repetitive but still good. Billie Joe is a great singer and makes any lyrics work (Knowledge is a perfect example). The lyrics are not really punk lyrics but they still seem to fit in with the music very well. More of an unhappy, emotional lyrics than a lot of the other punk bands (I know GD isn't really punk anymore, but face it, they used to be.

I think this is actually a very original album, even though the music is somewhat simple (not as simple as newer Green Day). It is very good. Most people can apply the words to their life so that may help. my favorite songs on the album are At The Library, Dissappearing Boy, I Was There, and Going To Pasalacqua. There are I think 19 songs on the CD so there is plenty to like. I like how BJ has some real solos. He even gives some classic rock touches in a couple. I don't like the sound quality and that is pretty much it. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely get it. Although my review may sound rather weak, I really do love this CD. At first when I listened to it (I had been a huge Dookie fan at this point), I thought the songs all sounded the same and I couldn't identify any of them. I thought it was garbage and I never listened to it again until earlier this year. It seemed to take a whole new meaning in my life and each song sounded completely different. It is now one of my favorite CDs. So definitely give it a second chance.