1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

The sound is not that different from their other albums. In this album Tre wasn't their dummer instead it was Al Sobrante but still the drums are great. Though the recording is pretty rough they are still able to come up with great and catchy tunes. Although there some low points in the album with regards to the song Rest which you would find tiring to hear. The guitar, bass and drums jive together to form the "Green Day" sound that we are all familiar with. The most distinct part of this albums sound are the solos. Some are like non-other that we have heard from Gren Day. Billie plays amazing metal solos in this album which really caught my attention. They give an additional feel to the song. Although some of the solos tend to be repetitive, overall the sound is amazing.

The lyrics tend to revolve around the experiences of a teen. Billie's experiences contributed to the formation of the lyrics. Though the meaning behind the lyrics are somewhat similar the songs still have distinctions from each other. Billie's voice is great, though not as great as it is today, it still goes well with music. The lyrics somehow remind me of my own experiences, that's why to me they are great. The lyrics give the music additional depth and brings out emotions.

Probably my favorite among all the Green Day albums. Their debut album is really worth hearing, it really shows the punk side of Green Day. It is a great album a great start to their career. The song are great I wouldn't get tired hearing them over and over again, in fact ever since I had the album it's been in my cd player all the time. My favorite song would probably be Dry Ice and Why Do You Want Him? they are great songs and have amzing solos. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't think twice of retrieving it or better yet I would buy a new one.