1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

I was impressed by Green Days sound on this album, and I can tell that their style had changed after they signed with Reprise Records. Here, you'll find guitar solos, something Billie Joe Armstrong has never been a fan of (reminiscent of guitar hero Johnny Ramone). Rather than just power chords, Billie Joe uses a lot more picking in his music, like in the "At The Library", where power chords would have been sufficient. There style reflects their gritty punk upbrining and this album is one most punk albums they have out there. The mixing isn't the best here, and the guitar parts aren't too clear, but it makes up for it with a lot of bass, for fans of the low end.

Billie Joe's lyrics are as young as he is. The subject of the music have to do with young love, growing up, leaving home, and being a teenager. It goes with the music well, and Billie Joe's sense of humor is developing. His voice is wilder here, too, but in a good way. His voice moans when the lyrics are whiney and wails when it kicks up. I like his voice on this album, but his lyrics aren't the best, and, as a fan of Green Day, improvement was welcome.

I think that, as Green Day's debut, it's good. As an album, okay. I love listening to it, though, and I find the songs catchy. I would buy this again if I lost it, but I wouldn't recommend this to too many people. It know that this album is for fans of Green Day and fans of punk.