1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour review by Green Day

• Released: Apr 19, 1991
Green Day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour

I think this album is amazing! The solos are Billie Joe at his best. 'Green Day' has a great solo, even if it's not some crazy-insano solo like on some other songs. 'Dissapearing Boy' has a great guitar intro. 'I Want To Be Alone' is genius (The guitar intro and solo is nice). The bass and guitar balance eachother out nicely on all of the songs. The drums are a little snare-heavy on some, but not all. The bass riff on 'Green Day' is incredible. I've heard from a lot of people that they don't like 'Rest', I think it's a nice alternative to the straight chords and killer solos. I'm a bassist, so I really love 1, 039/S.O.S.H. Mike is amazing here. The basslines are so complex. In this album the bass is not used as a background instrument the whole time. In a lot of the songs Mike is right up there with Billie. The drum parts are a lot different than those on later albums, but that's only because John is on drums instead of Tre. Some of the guitar lines are a little over the top, but it's not my decision what Billie should have or shouldn't have played. Sure it's not all typical Green Day, because they've changed a lot since this was released. I really think there's no such thing as a bad GD album.

The lyrics, well, pure Green Day. It's not what you'd expect, but it is still very nice. I think the lyrics capture exactly what it was like to be GD at the age they were. Some songs are pure punk, while others are about love found/love lost. It's truly amazing. I love the sound of Billie's voice on 1, 039 because it's so young compared to American Idiot or even Dookie (those are both amazing albums, though). 'I Was There' was written by John and has great meaning. 'Green Day' is halarious in a sense. At some times the lyrics are hard to understand but if you read the booklet in the case, it all falls into place. I actually looked up the meanings to the songs just because I'm a total Green Day fanatic, but, hey, who can blame me when they're truly amazing.

I think this truly captures the beginnings of Green Day. The lyrics, guitar, bass, drums, everything mixes with the others and makes for a truly captivating sound. It's hard to hate anything about it, but 'Knowledge' just doesn't really fit in with the other songs. I think some of the best would have to be: 'Green Day', 'I Want To Be Alone', '1,000 Hours', and 'At The Library'. I really think this is one of the best things Green Day has released. But Dookie still takes 1st Place! If it was stolen, someone would be in deep crap.