21st Century Breakdown review by Green Day

• Released: May 15, 2009
Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Almost 5 years have passed since the last Green Day studio album and finally the long wait is over. The simple and beautifully fitting musical genius of Green Day is back, and this time it's been kicked up a gear. A religious themed story of pre, present, and post modern American living under presidential grips shows the album following two lovers through just that. Although the same simple guitar work, cheeky drums, and hard hitting bass is there, it appears the band are still, even now, maturing more and more with every album. You can hear the more consistent precision in the writing process through the musical and lyrical productivity without thinking twice. The album spans from punk rock to pop, following the best of the best tunes in between. This is just one of many ways that the album shows that it can offer something for everyone, and should not be underestimated. Never judge a book by it's cover, the album executes the saying perfectly in every way.

It can be a challenge to deliver and get your point across in a song through lyrics whilst keeping a decent, catchy, interesting and overall good melody. But this album has shown an incredible increase in lyrical genius in sync with catchy melody, not to mention the fact that they haven't really changed who they are since the previous album. Basically the lyrics could never compliment the music any better even if they tried for another five years. The band have thought long and hard over everything and nothing seems out of place what so ever. Billiejoe still sounds the same as ever (which is a good thing if you like the band) however now, he has a flick on his voice which is indescribable. Perhaps it's age. Perhaps it's digitally enhanced microphones, what ever it is, it's the key to an even better and more interesting Green Day.

There is no hiding the fact that the single 'Know Your Enemy' is already a hit, I need not mention the song for it's catchy rhythm, melody and notably lyrical link to similarity, simplicity and beauty. A few songs that stand out to me (personally) as epic on the album are as follows: Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl): for it's incredible beat and use of melody, it instantly becomes a top fave from the album. Amazing intro, Amazing verse, Amazing Chorus, Amazing bridge, Amazing Outro, there is NOTHING to improve on this song! 11/10 East Jesus Nowhere: this song is full of meaningful and well written lyrics (as is all the others of course) that stand out so much to me. But what really wins it for me, is the incredible yet simple use of guitars to hold the beat with muted strumming and the insatiably amazing chorus melody. 9/10 Last Night On Earth: the piano in this song is beautifully composed and the vocals melt and relax every inch of stress. This is the kind of song I never thought Green Day would or even COULD make. Remember never judge a book by it's cover. 9/10 Restless Heart Syndrome: if there's a type of song I love, it's definitely one that builds and builds from soft instrumental into a hard head banging fiesta. Having amazing vocals pursue an immense melody is just a bonus in my eyes. 10/10 Horseshoes And Handgrenades: possibly the most punk rock song on the album, and it IS a truly epic song. Very old school sounding, a lovely distort effect on BillieJoes vocals give it a hardcore industrial sound, and just compliments the scream perfectly, listen for it and LOVE IT 8/10 Overall there isn't anything to dislike particularly on the album, it lives up to the long wait. My only advice is to the haters, and sceptics. Some people left Green Day behind because of American Idiot, I would definitely recommend this album to any one of any genre, give it a listen and I'm certain there will be at least one track for you. Possibly one of the best albums ever released! Enjoy!