21st Century Breakdown review by Green Day

• Released: May 15, 2009
Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

In Green Day's brand new "21st Century Breakdown" the band tries a new sound for them, which I think is inspired by Paul McCartney, but still keep the very punk rock approach they always had. In this album, bass and drums are more powerful than ever. We know that before, Green Day used to put the guitar a little bit more at the front of the other instruments, but in that album, all instruments are perfectly balanced.

"21st Century Breakdown" lyrics are totally in the same vibe than those from "American Idiot", so, with a pure punk inspiration, about today's world's biggest diseases. American Idiot was a rock opera about two teens in a country in war, but 21st Century Breakdown is about a couple going through the 21st century and thinking over it. The opera is divided in three acts: Heroes and Cons, Charlatans and Saints and Horseshoes and Handgrenades. In these three acts, the band talks about spirituality and war principally. They sometime refer to the class of '13, which is Billie Joe Armstrong's son's class, in that album like: the desperate in the decline, raised by the bastards of 1969.

For me, the best songs of this album are: "Before The Lobotomy", "East Jesus Nowhere", "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" and "See The Light". What I like the most about this album is its truth, the way it makes you realise that progress is not always the best thing you can find. If this album would be broken or stolen, because I would never lose it, I would immediately buy it back.