21st Century Breakdown review by Green Day

• Released: May 15, 2009
Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Wow. Just wow. Our snot-nosed punk rockers have really grown up. The sound on this album is anything but 3 chords. Here's a breakdown (pardon the pun.) 01.Song of the Century: part of the spoiler on the website, a great opener and over static which will be a big theme in the album... not really a song but cool anyway 02.21st Century Breakdown: epic, introduces the thread of trying to recover from Bush and the class of '13... amazing song (side note- pre-chorus refers to working class hero which they covered for amnesty international) 5/5 03.Know Your Enemy: the first single, very driving beat, catchy, but a little repetative. Also, a first that I've heard is a scream on "gimme gimme revolution!" which was pretty cool, nice video as well 5/5 04.Viva La Gloria!: introduces Gloria, an optomistic girl trying to make her way in the 21st century, a ballad with keyboards turns into a full blown rocker on the chorus 5/5 05.Before The Lobotomy: begins with acoustic guitar and goes into a harder edge song 5/5, also introduces the "eulogy" 06.Christian's Inferno: one of the most punky songs on the album, portrays Christian, Gloria's boyfriend as a quick-tempered idealist who believes he can make it. Very cool song, 5/5 07.Last Night On Earth: wow. This is the change I was talking about. Full blown piano ballad all the way through. Basically a love ballad to Gloria saying "if I loose everything in the fire, I'm giving all my love to you." I'm not crazy about this one but it's still good 3.5/5 08.East Jesus Nowhere: very anti-religious, could be compared to Holiday from American Idiot. Cool riff and I love it. 5/5 09.Peacemaker: one of my favorites on the album, sounds spanish-influenced, I believe there is a reference to the big 3 disaster "I am a kill joy from detroit I drink from a well of rage" 5/5 10.Last of the American Girls: very basic song, talks about Gloria being an old school girl stereotypical girl, okay sound 4/5 11.Murder City: another punky song, discusses riots and city life, Christian apparently has a meltdown and looses faith another basic song, 4/5 12.Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl): this is gloria's "breakdown", it appears they have lost they're home and living on the streets now. Sounds very much like Misery from Warning so this only gets 4/5 13.Restless Heart Syndrome: another ballad type song, pretty good, refers to "the enemy" and healthcare problems, I like it 5/5 14.Horseshoes and Handgrenades: amazing song - deffinatly my favorite from the opening line to the last note charges this album up sevenfold with it's Hives like riffs and parantal advisary warning best song they ever wrote infinity/5 15.Static Age: closest to a filler this album has, didn't really get my attention, maybe because the chorus is a re-write of Church on Sunday from Warning. Okay, but the worst on this album, I think it is in here to continue the "static" theme 2/5 16.21 Guns: a very close 2nd place - chorus sounds like All the Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople, very catchy, talks about the war and army and if we really should be fighting it 10000000000000/5 17.American Eulogy: begins w/ Song of the Century, I think this is supposed to be the Jesus of Suburbia of this album, I do like most parts of it but the choruses of the two parts are 2 and 8 words. C'mon guys you can do better than that. And I do like that mike sings the verses on Modern World, sounds very old school punk. Also this is the "eulogy" a few of the previous songs were talking about 3.5/5 for the lyrics on the chorus 18.See The Light: gives hope at the end of the album, begins w/ the same intro as 21st Century Breakdown at a different tempo, also reminds me of some other song. But pretty cool anyway 4.5/5

Cool mostly, very repetitive in some spots (know your enemy, american eulogy), I do like all the hidden meanings and collective theme of the album. The themes I caught were "Static" and "The Eulogy." At least as good as American Idiot, if not (Dare I say it) better. Billie Joe sounds as strong as ever, and the lyrics fit in perfectly with the music.

Amazing! The pulled off a pete townshend like no other band could. Best songs are Horseshoes and Hangrenades, 21 Guns, Peacemaker, Know Your Enemy, 21st Century Breakdown, East Jesus Nowhere and Christian's Inferno (not really in that order), pretty much the whole album is the best songs. If my CPU crashes I would first throw it away, get a new 1, and then buy this album on it. Incredible!