21st Century Breakdown review by Green Day

• Released: May 15, 2009
Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

I think that Green Day have really broadened their sound in this album. We're used to a fast paced, punk sort of sound, and they strayed from that a few times in American Idiot. But we have just about everything in this album. From Rock anthems like 21st Century Breakdown, to slow piano ballads like Last Night on Earth, its all there. We even can hear some Spanish influence maybe on Peacemaker. But they havn't left their Punk Rock roots behind, with Horseshoes and Handgrenades and Murder City bringing out the power chords. This album has so much variety in the sound, and musically, it is definitely their most daring yet. Some people don't like the new sound, but I love it, because all the songs are completely unique in their sound.

I think that Billie Joe has pretty much left that nasal voice (which we did love) behind. Although that was something that made Green Day so unique, I still think he sounds alot better on this album. Although I can tell a lot of editing has gone into his voice which takes out some of the raw feeling you get with the old Green Day albums. The lyrics are brilliant. The album is (like American Idiot) a concept album, based on the post-Bush America. It follows the story of a young couple: Christian and Gloria. It follows less of a direct story compared to American Idiot, but all the songs seem to relate to each other. I have to admit, I havn't actually worked out what the story is yet, but I just know its about this couple and their life in modern America. These lyrics are very deep, and you can tell that Billie Joe has spent a lot of time and effort into writing them. It has definitely payed off. Like American Idiot, it is so much different to the Lyrics of the old Green Day. No more singing about masturbation :( lol.

I've compared it to American Idiot alot in this review, and thats the one way I can think of critizing this near perfect album: Is it too like American Idiot? I don't think so. I think that they've taken American Idiot, and improved it. Its based around the same message about America, but contains much better music and variety. There are songs in American Idiot that really stand out to me, but also those that don't. For some I felt that they were just created to get the lyrics in, and the music was nothing special in these ones. But every song is unique in this album. It is definitely there most challenging and creative album yet. It is one of my favourite albums and I got the tab book straight away. My favourite song is definitely 21 Guns. It is such a different song to what we're used to from Green Day, especially with the contrast between the verse and chorus. I also really like the solo, its so simple but so effective. I would definitely reccomend buying this album if you havn't already. It is available quite cheap, and the last time I looked it was about 5 on iTunes and in HMV. The price really doesn't reflect the quality, and I was really surprised to see it so cheap. It is a fantastic follow up to American Idiot, and that wasn't an easy thing to do.