American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

First off, let me say that this is an amazing cd. It is definitely a deviation from their "typical" style, but I think it's still a great album. Their sound is more mature (although I'm not sure the band themselves could ever actually be mature), it seems. The album follows Jesus Of Suburbia, St. Jimmy, and often mentions another character, whatsername. Surprisingly, this album hasn't been in the works forever. I heard that they had about 40 songs all recorded for their new album, and then the tapes were stolen from the studio. So they decided to start again and do something entirely new.

Great lyrics. Although the album name implies heavy political commentary, only 2 songs seem to touch on politics ("American Idiot" and "Holiday"). The rest of the cd is a very in-depth, first-person social commentary. Billie Joe's vocals talents are impossible to reproduce. He is amazing. And I particulary enjoyed Mike Dirnt's and Tre cool's vocals on this album. It was quite refreshing to hear them take the mic for once.

I love all the songs on this album, but I would have to say my favorites are "Jesus Of Suburbia", "Give Me Novacaine", and "Homecoming." These songs are fun to listen to, and easily as fun to play. I have learned most of the songs on this album on bass, and it's great to just sit and play along with the whole album. This is not an album that you can skip songs on - every song is so great, you just have to put it in your cd player and let it go. I don't think there is anything to hate about the album, although I hope that Green Day doesn't forget about their old style. But I don't think that's going to happen. The only disappointing thing is what bands they're touring with Sugarcult and New Found Glory. I don't like either of those bands, but I am willing to pay almost anything to see Green Day. Man, if someone stole this album, I would have to seriously injure them (and I'm a pacifist, so that's saying a lot). I would definitely go out and buy it again. I would buy 2 or 3 copies if I could.