American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

The sound of the whole album is great. It is very different from their old stuff. The songs are more "pop-punk" when compared with their old albums, but it still sounds awesome. Simple chords but catchy melody -- the formula of success of Greenday, and this formula still works. Even though it isnt power chords or something, their songs can still get your attention which other pop-punk bands can't do.

Billie Joe Armstrong is a good writer. He can express his viewpoint through his lyrics very well. Most of the lyrics in American Idiot are great. Not only kids, but others can relate to it very much cuz they have pointed out different situations you may go through in life. One of my favourite lyrics in American Idiot: it says "Home is where your heart is"/ but what a shame/ cuz everyone's heart doesn't beat the same". Once again, it shows how amazing Billie Joe's lyrics are.

Obviously they have taken a very high risk to release a concept album after a 4 years break. Before I bought this album, I thought it would sound weird. But then I know I was absolutely wrong and now it has become one of the best albums I've bought this year. Even though you just listen to the songs separately, it still rocks. But of course, if you listen to the whole album without skipping any songs, the sound will be much more better. If it was stolen, I will definitely buy it again. It is worth paying only $12 to own their four-years-effort.