American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

This album has a good sound, if all you have heard is the title track, it is a decent representation of the album. The whole CD has a plot, with characters that can somewhat be compared to the Bible. The plot: Jesus Of Suburbia is the main character. St. Jimmy is introduced in track 5. But really, he is Jesus Of Suburbia. The Mary Magdeline in this story is 'Whatsername'. Her introduction is in track 8; and as in the bible, she sort of closes the plot with with her witnessing jesus after the tomb. Over all it is a well written plot and story. There are many highlights in the album, but the real high points of the album are the 'Punk Rock Operettas': Jesus Of Suburbia, which introduces the main character, and homecoming, where St. Jimmy/JOS Commits Suicide. The main style, as you would expect, is power pop/punk with big drums and infectuous melodies.

The lyrics are well written, and the melodies are in perfect harmony with the, er, harmonies. Billie Joe Armstrong has the same vocal style as past GD albums, and the words go along with the rest of the song.

I think that this album is equally as good as the past GD albums. There is not, as in most GD Albums, a song that the album would be better w/o. My favorite songs would be all of them, especially JOS and Homecoming. Also to check out is the album closer, Whatsername. the one song I do not like is Extraordinary Girl, which starts out with 34 Mins. Of a african beat, which I think the song would be better w/o it, it sorta disrupts the rythm of the rest of the album. If it was ever stoled, I would find the bastard and kick his ass. I could not lose it, as the CD is almost permanently affixed to my player. No, I'm just kidding, but with all my cds I keep a back up copy in rotation, the cd remains in pristine condition and dosent leave the Jewel Case.