American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

The sound on this album is the typical Green Day that we all know - agressively strummed power chords, driving bass riffs, and crazy drumming. But there's a little more to it. The album suggests that Green Day might have hit another maturity growth spurt as they did with Warning, because it is, to say the least, very well composed. It's supposed to be a "rock opera" - something that I hadn't heard of until I read a review about the album - and I guess that's what it is. The songs focus around a group of characters such as the "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Whatserface," and "St. Jimmy".

The lyrics are great. I've always thought Billy Joe Armstrong is one of the greatest punk/pop-punk song writers/singers ever, because his lyrics are simple and straight to the point. These songs are a little different though. Since it's a rock opera, the album seems to play out like a story, and since it's a story, there's kind of a hidden meaning behind each song that you really have to listen to in order to get it.

This album far surpasses the other albums in my opinion. I mean, Dookie and Nimrod are two of my favorite albums, but this American Idiot kicks ass. It's not really an attack on the Bush administration, but more of an "Open you're f--cking eyes and start realizing what's going on around you!" My favorite songs on this album are "Jesus Of Suburbia" - a nine minute song that seems to be about a boy moving out of a town full of losers and he really doesn't care; "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" - a song about being alone (I think); and "Holiday", which is pretty much about what's going on in the world right now. I can't think of anything bad about this album. I really like it, and if was stolen, this is probably the only cd I would kick the shit out of somebody for. Go buy it.