American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

First of all, I think this is the best Green Day album. I definately think this is their most musical album yet. There is a story to this album also. Characters by the names of Jesus Of Surbia, St. Jimmy, and Whatsername are an essential part of the album. There are two songs that are each about nine minutes long. One called "Jesus Of Suburbia" and one called "Homecoming". Those are to me, the songs with the deepest story to them. This album doesn't really have a resemblance to any of their previous ones. Billie Joe plays much better guitar and Tre Cool changed his style a little bit as he has been on Green Day's 2 previous albums (Warning and Nimrod). He doesn't just bang away at them, he limits himself to how hard he plays but he definately sounds good. Mike Dirnt is still excellent on bass and hasn't really changed much. Green Day definately sounds better now than ever before.

The lyrics were very deep on this album. Many of Green Day's words relected on todays politics such as the line in the albums opening song American Idiot, "I'm not a part of a redneck agenda." But most of the songs evolve around the three main characters in this punk-rock opera. The song entitled "Holiday" is the most politically enraged song on the album. The lyrics on this album are definately cool because for most of the songs, it seems like your listening to a story. Billie Joe sings great too.

This album does not compare to any other Green Day album. I guess in some sense its kinda like The Who's Tommy. The best sons on the album are Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, St. Jimmy, and Homecoming. What I love about this album is partly the new sound of Green Day and the great lyrics. There isn't anything I dont like about it. This right now, my favorite album. I'd definatley get mad if it were stolen and if it was, I would definately buy a new one.