American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

I had been anxiously awaiting this album for months before it came out, and I was definately not disappointed. I love every song on this album, and the style of music varies on every song. Billie Joe Armstrong again only plays simple power chord riffs and 15 seconds solos, but they sound awesome. Mike Dirnt is an excellent bassist, as he has always been. Tre Cool is one of the better punk drummers of all time, which he shows in every song, particularly "American Idiot" and "Jesus Of Suburbia". (The drum fills in "Jesus Of Suburbia" are excellent). The creation of a punk opera is totally unique, and the 2 operas are divided into 5 parts. As I previously stated in this reveiw, the sound is different on every song.

The songs in this album all tie together and form a story. The story follows the life of Jesus of Suburbia, who doesnt want to be an American Idiot, so he runs away from his town. He meets St. Jimmy, who gets him addicted to drugs. He is saved by Whatshername, who he instantly falls in love with. However, there is no happy ending in this story. I loved the lyrics in this album, in every single song. "Holiday" and "American Idiot" are political songs, while songs like "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is a song Billie Joe wrote about his dad, who died when Billie was 10. The 2 punk operas also have excellent lyrics. Although is have always thought Billie Joe was a good musician (good punk guitarist, great songwriter), I always thought he was an average vocalist. However, Billie has a great voice and also has a great singing range. (I think Billie has gotten better and better at singing with each album). Mike Dirnt's backup vocals are also great, as always. In this album, Tre Cool also sings, and he has a sweet voice.

I cant decide if this is my favorite Green Day album, since I like all of their CD's. This is definately one of the best though. The best songs on the album are "American Idiot", "Jesus Of Suburbia", "Holiday", "Boulivard Of Broken Dreams", "St. Jimmy", "Give Me Novacaine", and "Wake Me Up When September Ends." All the other songs are good to, although I didnt like "We Are The Waiting" at first. (I have gotten to like it though). I bet all of the songs on this album could be popular singles, and I hope they do. I copied this on my computer and my dad's computer, so if I lost it or it was stolen, I would just make another copy of it. If for some reason I couldnt, I would definately buy another copy. I made copies of this cd for around 8 other people for free, who also enjoyed the cd.