American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

I've loved Green Day for a really long time and though I can honestly say I'm not much of a punk fan I do find Green Day to be one of my favorite bands. I bought American Idiot the first day it came out and I wasn't disappointed in the least. There is an obvious maturity in the lyrics and the overall music. I was impressed, being the fan that I am I was happy to see Green Day grow up but not grow out of their originality. There is as I said a maturity but any fan knows that this is definitly Green Day. It's hard for me to put this album down, I keep listening to it and finding myself singing along, it's catchy without being annoying. Its fun but it's serious. Every time I listen to the album I find something new that I didn't hear before. It's a punk opera with a story strung through the music and it may be a concept album but it has a quality about it that lets you listen to the songs individually and enjoying them just as much as you would if you listened to the album straight through.

The lyrics are more daring. There is a running theme and they get political and say things that haven't been said or haven't quite caught on. If you really listen, there is no denying the confusion felt by the musicians and the connection they have with the rest of the country, there is honesty and realisim. The song Holiday has got to be the most pointed song against the current administration and never the less the lyrics are catchy. Billie Joe Armstrong has always been able to capture a mood the right way with his lyrics but now that he has a bigger topic/issue to dicuss through music things have only gotten better. As for his vocals they have gotten better as well, when he's mad it shows, when he's upset, it shows, he goes from soft to harsh and the range is perfect for the album and the meaning behind the music.

I think American Idiot is a breath of fresh air. Overall musically, and lyrically it's the best album to date, not to take away from prior work but it is by far the most "punk" album they've done. They went up against the government and they question authority. To me the most impresive songs are probably Holiday and Homecoming. They are amazing and I can't stop listeing to them. If someone stole my copy of American Idiot I'd be pissed but I wouldn't think twice about buying it again.