American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

I first saw Green Day live in 1989, when they were still prohibiting their music from being played on regular radio. I was a student at Gonzaga University (3800 students) in Spokane, WA. They played on the lawn of our campus, next to the Spokane river. My ticket cost $3, and we smoked out with the band in my dorm room after. My respect for their artistic bent and no-need of celebrity overwhelmed me at the time. Over the years, I became somewhat disenchanted with Green Day's popiness but after seeing them live on Late Night with Carson Daily the other night, I realized that these are the very same boys who played on the lawn in 1989 and they have not lost it. I bought American Idiot the next day, and will buy a ticket to the next show they play in Seattle or Spokane.

Just like Bono, Billie Joe was a very good poet when he began, but a terrible to average singer. Plus you gotta survive his "nasal thing." And, like Bono, BJ became an excellent singer after 15 years. However, unlike Bono, Billie Joe retained his poetry. Not even Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or my revered Nirvana could get me to listen to a 9 minute song and not bore me. Bravo Green Day.

I would have to say this album is their very best. "Basket Case" would vie for 1st, except I realize that is only the case because at the time I first heard it, my life was very paralell to the story it told. "American Idiot" and especially "Jesus Of Suburbia" are excellent songs by any standard. I firmly believe that Frank Sinatra is sitting up in his grave, cupping his hand to his ear, every time either one of these songs are played. Not to demean other reviewers but who the hell is the dipshit who said in his review "the only reason I never listened to Green Day before is because I had never heard of them..."?