American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Green Day: American Idiot

Well one day I was listening to the radio just before I went to bed. When I heard "Here's the new Green Day song" I jumped (I was a big fan of Green Day back in the day). It was the song American Idiot. Since I was really tired, I didn't pay any attention to the lyrics, but I thought the melody was pretty cool. So since I liked Green Day so much, I went out and bought the album. Once I got wind of the lyrics, the drop D tunings, and heard the rest of the album, I almost puked. How could such a great punk band all of a sudden turn into an MTV sellout? Well this section's about sound, so I'll discuss that. The overall sound of the album isn't that bad. Billie Joe's voice is good as usual. The drumming of Tre and bass of Dirnt is pretty average. However, I wouldn't call this album punk at all. All of the songs are either emo, pop, or other weird stuff that totally doesn't fit.

American Idiot is just another one of these anti-Bush songs that are so popular these days. I mean, I know he looks like a monkey and maybe screwed a couple things up, but I would have taken him over Gore or Kerry. If the pop culture thinks he's a dipshit, then the whole world does too. Even rappers are doing it these days. It just gets old. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is one of the worst songs I've ever heard; Are We the Waiting, Give Me Novacaine, Extraordinary Girl, and Whatsername are some of the weirdest; and the ten minute songs get extremely boring. Just split it up into 5 songs and it would be much easier to get through. There were many pathetic attempts at emo on the album (Boulevard) which completely throws you off. If you were a Green Day fan like me, you just couldn't see them becoming emo. It's really quite sad that they were such a great punk band (One of the only good ones these days) and now they're just trying to make as much money as possible like every other greedy, stupid, emotionless, bad band these days. I'm not just saying this because I'm some "Punk sucks, go learn to play your instrument" or "Anything that's not completely underground sucks" people; I actually really liked, respected, and got a lot of punk influence from Green Day.

This was a complete letdown in my mind. Dookie and Insomniac were two of the best punk albums ever. Now they go and make this corporate anti-Bush crap. I don't really like any songs on the album, but if I just forget the lyrics and concept, American Idiot is really the only musically well written song there is on the CD. To the person that said Green Day single-handedly saved punk rock with this album, you're crazy. This album put yet another dagger into the heart of punk rock. I think punk music is officialy dead now. Everything good has come from at least 10 years ago (Alright, 5 if you count Bad Religion). If this album were stolen, I'd be happy that I wouldn't have to remind myself that I actually bought it. Instead, I might go out and buy 1039 or Kerplunk because I've wanted those for a while. Even if it weren't stolen, I'd give it to some girl who thinks Billie Joe Armstrong is sexy.