American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Sure, a different direction than their previous punk music. They were trying something different, unfortunatley, a political step. Which isn't too bad, but I would rather hear some of their music about their feelings not just hearning "Anti-war, Bush bashing, being controlled by the media" songs. The songs are pretty ingenius. Some catchy riffs. Every song on this album is enjoyable, even if you do like Bush. One thing I really don't pay attention to or give a crap about is the story to this album. The Jesus Of Suburbia, The American Idiot, St. Jimmy and Whatsername characters.

Yes, political. According to Green Day were all being controlled by the media, Bush sucks and the War in Iraq should have never happened. But away from the politics, it does have an emotinal side. The main song that stands out there is "Wake Me Up When September Ends." Despite what you hear, this song has nothing to do with the Jesus Of Suburbia or any other characters. This is a song that stept away from the album and just helped out Billie Joe express his feeling and love for his father who passed away, thus the point of the song (his dad passing away). This album does have some intreging lyrics despite the political ones. Boueluvard Of Broken Dreams is a great song, though overplayed on the radio. A great song explaining how Billie Joe walks alone. The character idea was original. Great lyrics and singing.

This isn't your average punk album. Green Day was trying something new. Such as others are, too (Metallica, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ect). And it was a total gamble but it really ended up in success. This is a flawless album. Unless you take your politics seriously at this age, get this album. What I don't like (I really shouldn't say "don't like") but what I could care less about is the characters and story to the album. I couldn't give a crap, but It doesnt bother me, I still love the music. Good job Green Day.