American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Ok I'm fed up of hearing both sides of the smae stupid argument, it's not real punk and it's definatly not rock but its not mainstream trash. Yes it is just a stream of octaves, power chords an simple solos but they work amazingly on this and dont sound too repetitive. Bit disapointed at the lack of any decent bass on this though, longview is way in the past it seems. Now Billie Joe has perfected a trick on this album: he has made his voice sound all squeky pop clean so everyone likes it but without using any synthatsisers ect its actually his voice. I've heard them live an he sounds exactly the same so thats ur manufactured pitch way off.

Well lets be honest, ther pritty crap at points. The first time you hear abpout Jesus Of Suburbia, St Jimmy ect its amusing but it does get tedious. The rest of it though just sounds like the same old Green Day, when hes shouting 'I don't care' in J-O-SB it sounds like the old 'Rebellion' screams of Dookie. As I mentioned above Bille Joe really got his voice sorted for this album and it fits the simple riffs well.

Compared to most of the Utter Shite NME chart tells us is a 'hot new one' this is godly but if you put it up against real bands like Velvet Revolver, Muse or Metallica its pop edge starts to show. Musically Franz F, Razerlight an the rest of the decenet brit pack members have them beat but for catchyness and live power Green Day win hands down. It dosn't have any of there best songs on it, I'd say American Idiot, the last part of JOS and september ends are its highlights and I pray for the dat BOBD is taken off the radio. Overall it is quite possibky there best album with absoloutly no bad tracks and the poppyness does mak it very easy listening. Lets just hope there next album gives a bit more to chew on.