American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Phenomenal sound. Sounds nothing like the old Dookie-esque punk that was goin on in their old albums. They are definitly using a different distortion and a I like it a lot. And for once they use something other than power chords and electric guitars. The acoustic sounds amazing in Spetember.

The lyrics are very good. Personally I get sick of him singing about getting stoned and jacking off in their old stuff. The lyrics actually tell a story too, and they're put in order by dates. For all those confused: 01. American Idiot - doesn't have a part in the story, but somewhat sets the mood. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - introduces us to the main character, Jesus. This has no religious meaning. He is bored with his Suburbian lifestyle, getting stoned and his mom and stepfather brad. Finally he decides to run away. 03. Holiday - Jesus has just arrived in the city where he intends to live. Everything's great, he is gonna live by his own rules now the Zieg Heil part is just a bush bashing thing. 04. Blvd Of Broken Dreams - whoa wait a minute. Jesus gets out there on the streets and realizes it aint so great, he's all alone. 05. Are We The Waiting - nothings happening. Jesus thought this would be the s--t but is left all alone, he questions everything. 06. St. Jimmy - out on the streets Jesus meets Jimmy, a ringleader of a group of people who live an the streets that form somewaht of a gang. Jimmy takes Jesus in under his wing and shows him how to live in the streets. 07. Give Me Novicane - Jesus getting away from it all with drugs. 08. She's A Rebel - Jesus falls for a girl called "Whatsername" who "holds his heart like a hand grenade." 09. Extraoradinary Girl - more about Whatsername. 10. Letterbomb - Jesus starts to question everything again. 11. Homecoming - the s--t hits the fan. Jimmy commits suicide in a final fanatical act. Hand grenade thrown. Whatsername leaves Jesus. He realizes he should have stayed at home. He decides to go back. 12. whatsername - Jesus looks back on the whole experience and remembers the girl, he can see her face but can't remember her name and ends with "forgetting you but not the time."

In my opinion it's so much better than their other albums and a lot of other bands. They have changed their sound to a more rock less punk sound and it is amazing. The best song is probably Holiday or Blvd Of Broken Dreams but it is much too overused. Holiday is a well writin peice and has good lyrics too, me and my band play it and go directly into Blvd and it sounds great, just a generally well done song. Definitly worth buying, and if it were stolen I would unleash the fury of hell onto the poor soul for taking it.