American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

The sound of this album is just like every other Green Day album as far as the basic vocals, guitars, bass, and drums go. However, there is some improvement with the workings of bass and drums. They recorded 2 bass guitars on this album and I think that is adds a lot of depth to the overall sound. And the drums are really that complicated, but Tre actually discovered that he could use more than just 2 cymbals per song. Good for him.

Finally BJ grew up. I was starting to get tired of songs about being a teenager with nothing to do but beat off. The lyrics are actually well thought out and the story line to the album is pulled off actually quite well. However I dont really think that they had to go and turn the album into an anti-Bush romp for the media. Most of the better songs are found after the first 4 songs on the album. I don't really get the whole concept of promoting it as an anti-Bush record when in reality it isnt.

American Idiot is no Dookie. Dookie was fresh for its time. Green Day was actually semi-punk back then. However, I don't really think that being 33, having children, dying your hair black, and being an MTV media darling qualifies you as punk in my book. I dont really agree the more political songs on the record such as American Idiot or Holiday, however I do believe that the Dixie Chicks needed to be removed as the king of all anti-Bush bands. And if I could pick any band to be the poster child of Semi-Media Bombasted - Rebellion would be Green Day. In my opinion my favorite sogns are Are We The Waiting, Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Homecoming, and Whatsername. All these songs so good and are some of the best Green Day sogns written in the last 6 years, but becuase they hate Bush, and the Media hates Bush, I doubt all of them, Whith Exceptiong to September will all be forgotten. If this were stolen, I would just burn it again like I did this time. I wouldnt buy this album just because I cant support a band that disses what I believe in. However, if you look at the bad, and the good on this album. The good Slightly over takes the bad. The Bottom Line is that this record is only selling so well because they are selling it as anti bush parade when it really isnt. Green Day is just the Media's Whore Right Now. Which kind of makes me laugh everytime I hear don't want a nation under the new media on American Idiot.