American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

I think the sound in American idiot is outstanding. The effects is BOBD are a great touch (but I think this song is getting overplayed), and the 2 styles of guitars in holiday are great. I like the variying sounds from the album, like in Jesus of Suburbia. Some call that song boring, but it kept me waiting to here what would come next. Billie Joe's voice has developed a lot from some of their eariler tracks, and his voice sounds perfect. Tre's drumming stands out a lot more and has become more advanced. The same goes with Mike's bass. The only flaws with the sound are in Homecoming. I just do not like that song, I have never got around to listing to the whole thing. Overall, GD's sound has developed a lot since Dookie. When I got this album, I was not looking for a strict "punk" album, which some people said it was not. I was just looking for good sounding music, not following a specific format. That is exatly what I got.

The lyrics are incredible. Billie Joe is an incredible poet and the story flows very smoothly. I like the concept album, and I like the anti-bush lyrics. They are great, although I don't think the entire album is anti-bush. Only a handful of songs are. Billie's vocals can be heard perfectly over the guitar, unlike other albums, and his voice has seriously developed. The only lyrics that don't fit are in Extrodiary Girl. I liked how this album stayed away from the traditional alternative rock format of all songs about love and girls. This one song didnt fit in. Overall, great lyrics and vocals.

This album is a sensation compared to other Alternative albums I have. Every song is nothing short of incredible, minus Extrondiary girl. I can listen to the whole thing thru without skiping songs like I have to on my other CDs. This makes it my all time favorite album. My only concern is that they are killing the best songs by overplaying them. American Idiot is gone, BOBD is gone, and Holiday is going, my favorite song on the album. But if it was stolen, I would go and get another copy asap! Worth every penny. If you are looking for a great alt/punk album, this is for you. Great CD!