American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

First of all I'm sticking up for Green Day on this one. I've read alot of these reviews before me and they all say the sound has changed, the sound isnt "Dookie" but that's just it isnt it. If Green Day were to repeat a "Dookie" record people would be complaining that it's 'been done' and to try something new. I would personally like to congradulate Green Day on the finest album to date. The sound is fresh, unique and as 'mainstream' as it can be, it's still the Green Day that I've always been listening to. Nothing has changed! The good ol' Green Day chord progressions are still as good as ever, the vocals are better then ever! Mike's bass work is absolutely outstanding and I've never heard Tre Cool drum as good as he has on this album. All of the boys have taken this album to a new high, and I hope to see more of it! Absolutely outstanding sound!

Once again, the lyrics are the same as they've always been. Nothing has changed in Billie Joe's style of writing. I must admit some of the songs or the words in some of the songs are a little weird - but that's just what I love about Green Day. If you read what is being said you can understand it. If you are looking over it of cause its not going to make any sense. The lyrics are fun and a mixture of bright and dark at the same time. "Here comes the rain again, falling from the stars, drenched in my pain again, becoming who we are" ("Wake Me Up When September Ends"). This is just one of many extracts I could use. "I'm walking down the line, that devides me somewhere in my mind" ("Boulevard Of Broken Dreams"). I mean how cool is that? The vocals suit the music and the music suits the vocals. If you can look past all of the people that say it's 'mainstream' and 'too new' you'll see nothing has changed, it's still the same Green Day, and it's still the same Billie Joe.

This is by far the best album Green Day have released. Every song on the album are all favourites of mine and I cannot decide on which is my favourite! I'd have to say "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams," "Holiday," "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Letterbomb," "St. Jimmy," "American Idiot" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" are my favourites. That's pretty amazing when I just mentioned 7 of the 13 songs on the album and there all 'all-time-favourites'! If this album was stolen (and why wouldn't it be? I cant think of anyone that wouldnt love it) I would cry for 1000 hours. Then buy another copy. I worship this album and have played it every day since September 21st. It is really priceless!