American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Unlike many of my friends, I knew about, and liked Green Day before this album. When I compared the sound between this album and Dookie, it didn't really seem all that different. Sure, Dookie was louder (and not as well produced), but it's still the same three chord stuff.

What is with Rockstars getting all political? Come on! Paris Hilton is still alive so, we know "Vote Or Die" is not a true statement. Billie Joe got all caught up in the politics and being stuck on the "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams." I used to like that song before it started getting serious airplay. Now I can't stand it, but the lyrics are good. In fact the lyrics are good in the entire album. Billie Joe may not be a fan of making complicated music, but he can write. The lyrics show an understanding of the year 2004 and really in the state of this world at the moment. They also show a disliking for the Bush administration. I don't really think that matters to anyone. I personally love the lyrics to this album and they go well with the music. I didn't like the lyrics to "Nobody Likes You" in "Homecoming." The lyrics were stupid and I don't really care if Mike Dirnt wants to talk about drinking too much coffee. Even though I critized his lyrics I thought his Bass playing was really good on this album so don't hate me people. Billie Joe's vocal were the same as always and I wish Tre' Cool would just never sing again.

It's not the greatest album ever or anything like that, but I really like it. The best songs are "Jesus Of Suburbia" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends." I liked Billie Joe's lyrics. I didn't like Mike's and the drummer needs to stop singing. He's an incredible drummer, but I really don't like his singing voice. If it was stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again.