American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Firstly, I think that Green Day fans are looked down upon by "superior" musicians and I think that's bullcrap but with that being said - the sound on American Idiot is immaculate. There are no "holes" in Green Day's sound. Green Day's long-time producer, Rob Cavallo, is a genius and it really shows on this one. The album as a whole depicts a storyline that Billie Joe arranged perfectly. There's not enough to know exactly what happens but there's enough to make the listener think about certain things in the world today. Billie Joe hits the personal politics angle right on the head and doesn't bash the listener with a "Vote For" slogan. This is their best album of all time in my opinion and they've only gotten better in 15 years, every single song on this album can be a single.

I think Billie is in a class of his own as far as lyrics go, as well as stage-presence but that's another story. As a songwriter, I think Billie has a knack for writing lyrics and phrases that you kinda feel are always on your mind and it's kinda like "Damnit why didn't I thinka that." The things he talks about are so simple but he handles each song like it's a little story in its own right. As far as singing goes Billie Joe has really really grown vocally on this album. Play this alongside Dookie and you can hear the 10 years of experience difference.

Overall, this is by far my favorite album of all time. Once again, I think Green Day fans are looked down on too much by "better" musicians. I listen to jazz to blues to country and anything else I can get my hands on cause I think it's good to broaden your horizons and what not but never-the-less, I will always return to punk-rock as my favorite genre and this will always be my favorite album from my favorite band.