American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Well, Green Day are one of my favourite bands, I love all of the albums, from Dookie to Warning, and I was very excited when I heard about this, I heard American Idiot on TV, knew they were jumping on the anti-bush bandwagon, and probably selling out. I was wrong. American Idiot is a bit of an insta-hit product, but a lot of the songs could be re recorded in a worse studio, and stuck on Dookie, and nobody would notice. I love the guitars, the bass isnt as good as it was in the past, but that isnt too important, this still good. I love Tre Cool's drumming, especially in Jesus Of Suburbia. Great sound.

The lyrics tell a pretty bad story, about (shockhorror) and american idiot! So basically this bloke is lonely and teen-angsty, he goes into a nice big city, gets pissed, meets a girl, gets dumped by the girl, and feels all sad. Clever lyrics though, and Billie Joe is a great singer.

01. American Idiot - killer riff, and even R N' Bizzles know the words! I love it, but doesn't it get irritating after a while 10/10. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - nice long thing, with a lot of parts, so I'm gonna do em individually: - Jesus Of Suburbia - very cool, and I love these lyrics, and the changeover to the next one is seamless. Nice guitar/drum solo thing too 10/10. - City Of The Damned - would be a hit single if they lengthened it and made it an individual track, but that applies to most of the mini songs. Rather depressing 10/10. - I Don't Care - the most old Green Day style of the mini songs, although it still is a bit different. Best bass/guitar riff on the album 9/10. - Dearly Beloved - very catchy, lyrics remind me of Brain Stew. Kind of short, but great while its there 10/10. - Tales Of Another Broken Home - I love that riff, and the quiet bit it very, very emo 9/10. 03. Holiday - catchy, and for this that is not such a good thing, because it gets very very irritating. I loved it at first, but as with quite a few songs on this album, over-exposure on MTV has killed it for me 7/10. 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - the only point at which I can understand people saying they have sold out, this really does suck quite a lot. Again, over-exposure doesn't help, but "I walk alone I walk alone" is now the one thing I do not want to listen to. Cool outro though 6/10. 05. Are We The Waiting - one of my favourite songs on the album, clever lyrics, and very good guitar. The chorus gets a bit annoying towards the end, because they repeat it too much. Great song anyway 9/10. 06. St Jimmy - class song, this is Green Day not selling out! Up yours you stupid Dookie-addicts 10/10. 07. Give Me Novocaine - emo! Better than Boulevard though, since it hasn't been released as a single, although that could yet happen, I love the pre-chorus bit 9/10. 08. She's A Rebel - lots of people say this is their favourite Green Day song, but it gets annoying, which is more unique because it hasnt been on MTV 8/10. 09. Extraordinary Girl - bongos? Irritating song 6/10. 10. Letterbomb - nice name, and a damn catchy song. very cool 10/10. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - very sad, emo song. Very depressing video too. Nice guitar part too 9/10. 12. Homecoming - another long one. - Homecoming - I like the guitar sound, but it's pretty short 10/10. - The Death Of Saint Jimmy - kind of irritating 7/10. - East 12th Street - the I don't care bit are actually quite good lyrics, so long as its meant to be ironic 9/10. - Nobody Likes You - I love the melody, but I am sick of people singing along to it 8/10. - Rock And Roll Girlfriend - damn cool 10/10. 13. Whatsername - my favourite song, calm, and I love the bit where its just the guitar, nothing else. Sweet little song, about the random girl the random guy broke up with. Lovely song 10/10. Overall, I have said a lot of songs are irritating, but thats just cause I listened to them too much, on first impressions, all of these songs would get a 10 (except for Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, so I suppose it deserves one.