American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

A band that were going nowhere at the time have just released what will be known as the best album of recent times for years. Billie Joe, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool appeared out of nowhere and produced this beast and shock the world. The sound on this record is fantastic, from the thudding drumming from American idiot to the great tremolo arm effect used to devastating effect on boulevard of broken dreams. This album has it all.

I can't be arsed to write out a load of compliments for the lyrics. Lets just say that their too good to be written so heres the ratings of all of the songs: 01. American Idiot - what a way to start the album. Great guitar chords and sublime drumming 10/10. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - this was the song that showed how much balls Green Day had. Can you imagine that a punk band would do this? You can now 10/10. 03. Holiday - heavy distortion and another great tre drum beat open up this song. The only bad bit is that this song is done so well live that this seems rubbish 9/10 (but only because of the live thing). 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - this was not the first time Green Day had made two songs into one. This was used most noticeably in Chump/Longview and again this is fantastic 10/10. 05. Are We The Waiting - many people regard this as the worst song in American Idiot and to some extent it is but thats like saying whats your least faverite part of "bo rap" 8/10. 06. St. Jimmy - there's another great guitar bit in tis punkish number and moves faster then a fast things fast bits. Be warned this shreds pics very fast 10/10. 07. Give Me Novacaine - this starts off slowly but gets better as it goes along 8/10. 08. Shes A Rebel - another 2 part song (this album has loads) A simple chord sequence makes this a very catchy song 8/10. 09. Extraodinary Girl - strange start but good background guitar keeps this song afloat 8/10. 10. Letterbomb - I found this a arse to learn as it has a load of chords and I'm lazy but I still love it 9/10. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - this song, written about the death of BJ's father, contains a very un early green day opening. The tender picking off the strings reminds you of Good riddence but the rest is back to normal 10/10. 12. Homecoming - another 9 minute beast. This is similar to Jesus Of Suburbia in a way but completly different in another. Oh, in case your wondering its really good 10/10. 13. Whatsername - the start is, quite frankly, shit. The first two minutes are really bad but after, This song becomes amazing 9/10.

I won't bother comparing this to other artists, mainly because I'm lazy but also because there are no albums to compare to. This is argubly the most ambitious album for years and has become more amazing then anyone would of guessed. If I haven't convinced you that this is amazing remember that this album is anti-Bush.