American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

Without a doubt, this album made Green Day even MORE popular with the pop/rock audiences and hard rock audiences alike. All you see is "their amazing, I love Green Day." That's where I say "stop!" I mean, anyone who says that obviously hasn't listened to classic Green Day. The sound they have in this CD is bubblegum compared to classics like "Brain Stew" and almost everything else in previous albums. The sound of this CD is not good, fantastic, and basically just mediocre.

I will give them props on some of the lyrics. You can tell in songs such as "Wake Me Up When September Ends," "Holiday," and "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" that they were telling a story. Although these songs are fairly similar, they all have different ways of telling you that the band members feel alone physically and in their thoughts ("I walk alone," "my shadow is the only thing that walks beside me," "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies") Other songs like "Jesus Of Suburbia," "American Idiot" and a few parts of "Holiday" seem to be a sort of mix of what they thought sounded good and poetic rhyming schemes.

Compared to other modern day rock bands, I'd say they're pretty weak, but you've got to give them props for trying something new and different. Not only did they try to do something a little different but they succeeded. That is what's impressive to me. I love how a few of their songs actually tell a story, and how the songs flow smoothly (most of them anyways), I hate how everyone basically loved the songs that were in my opinion the worst. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that "American Idiot" was a good song, is sadly mistaken. Yes, haha it's kind of sort of laugh in your head funny, but not a good song. If it were stolen/lost I would probably not buy a new one because I've heard the songs so many times (from the 1000's of times on the radio) that I'm pretty much tired of it. I'd much rather listen to Dookie.