American Idiot review by Green Day

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Green Day: American Idiot

This is actually the first green day CD I ever got. sure I had heard some of there songs before like "Time Of Your Life," but this was the first CD that really stuck out. Billy Joe is actually a very talented guitarist, which is sort of rare in the punk genre. Mike is a great bassist with lots of good riffs, and tre' is definetly an awsome drummer. I used to think travis barker's work on "Enema Of The State" was the best display of punk drumming until this album. It's very good.

Lyrically it can be very political like the title track, but I was quite impressed that the album had a few different topics as well. he sings about his late father in "Wake Me Up When September Ends", which surprised me because I thought the song would be political. also mike does a great job at backing vocals throughout the album. overall very well done.

I thought this album would compare more to some of there earlier song, but it seems a lot more mature. the 2 songs that are like 9 minutes are very impressive for the fact that they could play for that long and meld different themes into it, although lyrically, "Homecoming" is sort of shitty. the best songs are "Blvd. Of Broken Dreams," "Holiday," "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Give Me Novacaine," "She's A Rebel," "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Whatsername." American Idiot is a very good album and I highly recommend it. The title track had become to overplay and I'm a bit sick of it, but overall the rest of the album is very impressive. If someone stole it they'd get an ass kickin' and then I'd get the CD again.